Neither Will I

As the tide rolled in, it looked like a dark, unknown creature bound in chains. That mysterious creature was trying to escape, and it almost made it too. Almost made it enough to sense freedom before the guards of the tide discovered its whereabouts, and pulled back the chains. Yet, it never stopped trying to escape; on and on for hours at a time, the same old struggle, the same old loss. On and on, this dismal battle, never growing old, never once growing weary. Until the tide went out, dragging the dark, unknown creature back to sea. There is good and bad in this world; beautiful sights and breathtaking views, dark creatures, with hidden pasts. We all have weaknesses, bound in chains, in an endless battle, or so it seems. I learnt this lesson long ago, yet the thought still lingers like dewdrops at dawn. I can almost see that lonesome creature; I can almost feel his pain. As the wind blows near, it sends chills down my spine, vertebra by vertebra. That poor, helpless creature! And I have done nothing to help. Guilt fills me up as the wind gusts strong and steady. I turn away from that dark thought to the sky as sunset turns to night. In awe, I watch as it seamlessly turns orange, then pink, then a deep mauve. It is beautiful. It gives me hope. Deep down, I know people will soon begin to ask me about the chains that bind me, but how do I begin to tell them? Do I start with the bruise on my lower spine? Or that my radiotherapy has begun? That my hair’s started falling out? I let the wind sweep over me and for a moment; it consumes all thoughts. I suppose it’s not all bad, for the sunsets come every day. I remember that dark, helpless creature, who fought his chains so courageously, never gave up. Taking a deep breath, I stand at the edge of the ocean. Feeling a debt to that mysterious creature of the deep, I say in a soft voice a promise for only us to hear, “Neither will I”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!