I Have A Disability

My name is Farqueza and I am 12 years old. I have always been the odd one out. No matter where I am. People stare at me like I'm an alien. I feel as if I do not belong here. My legs are futile, my arms are non-responsive. I can't do anything except sit in a wheelchair, watching days, months pass by. Why me? I can not play with other children. One look at me and they sprint off. I loathe them. I loathe myself. What is the point of me being in this world if I make no difference, only put more weight on my parent's shoulders? I wish the ground could swallow me up. I wish that I could disappear from the Earth, vanish into thin air. I look at myself sometimes and wonder what I could be doing if I hadn't been born this way. I can not go anywhere without a person's aid. Staring at people who take their working limbs for granted. I envy them. Staring at children crying because they can not have something. I wonder how much they would've cried if they were like me. They are lucky, but they don't know that. I wish they did. I wonder sometimes if they've ever experienced the trapped feeling like I have, like I will always. Sometimes I want to chop my limbs right off, thinking that they are a waste of the blood that needs to feed my atrophic muscles. I know I will never be the same as them, no matter how hard I try. I have no purpose in this life. I am useless. I am a disabled person.

My name is Miriam and I am 12 years old. I am a person with a disability. I was born that way. But I don't care. Even though I cannot move my limbs, I do not see myself as useless. I see myself as a person who was brave enough to take on and live with this disability. I am luckier than some. I have food to fill my stomach, a house for me to call home and family that care. I have a plan in life. I will become a speaker and advocate for people with disabilities. I will help that of my own kind, despite my disadvantages. I can still learn, I can still speak out so I see no reason for me to hide behind the curtains. I don't care what people call me. Let them think of it that way. They will never change my perspective of myself. What they say is not true. There is a difference between opinion and fact. I am strong-willed and giving up is not of my character. I believe that there is an opportunity for anyone to do whatever they like, they just have to take it. And I will take mine.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!