Bad Break

Becky England was an 11 year old who owned a young, spirited, black horse named Star. Star was a fantastic show jumper and they had won many events together. Becky and star shared a great friendship.
Becky and Star were going to the Spring Show to compete. Becky’s brother, Sam, was driving them there in the cruiser. Becky grabbed her helmet, checking the latch on Star’s float before jumping in the Ute.
Driving slowly into the parking area, Becky noticed how many horses were actually attending the Spring Show. “There’ll be a lot of competition,” she thought to herself. Sam parked the cruiser and they got out. Becky’s event would be on at 11.15. She had read the timetable at home. “Just half an hour away,” she thought, as she went to get Star from the float.
“Good luck, Becky,” said Sam, as she mounted Star. “Thanks,” she replied, and rode toward the brightly painted show ring. The course stretched through the field with approximately 10 jumps. Becky was the third girl of seven in her age group.
“This is Becky England riding Star,” said the announcer over the speakers. Becky rode over to the starting point. “On your marks…” the time keeper said loudly. “Get set…” Star nickered softly. “Go!” Becky kicked Star into a canter and they raced toward the first jump. Star’s hooves barely touched the ground as he landed softly on the other side of the blue railing. “Well done Star!” Becky exclaimed. They continued on toward the next jump, painted white, with two rails. Star cleared this jump perfectly, racing on. He cleared the next few jumps easily, too.
They raced toward the final jump. “Come on, we’re doing great, you can make it,” Becky whispered into Star’s ear. The final jump was a short hedge with shallow water on the other side. Star pricked his ears as he picked up a little speed. Jumping a little too soon, Star’s two front legs knocked the hedge, bringing him over onto his side in the water. Becky gasped as everything went black.
Becky lay on the hospital bed with her eyes closed. “Becky, wake up,” her mother and father were standing over her as she slowly opened her eyes. “Becky, thank goodness you’re awake!” her mother said, hugging her. Becky asked what happened. “You broke
your leg when Star slipped,” said her father softly. “Is Star OK?” Becky asked. “Oh, yes,” Her mum said, adding to the conversation. “Can we go home now?” Becky asked. “Soon,” both parents replied.
Becky wanted to ride Star again, straight away. “I’ll help you,” her father suggested. Becky eased into the leather saddle on Star’s back. She remembered the shows she had been to before the accident. It wasn’t Star’s fault that she broke her leg. Deep inside, Becky knew that she would become stronger every day and soon be able to ride in shows again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!