Keeping Isabella

Standing here in court and gazing up at the judge is terrifying. He has an intimidating glare that scares the life out of people. My name is Dylan Prescott, i'm 18 and I live in Seattle, far from the coast in a small town. So now you know my name, but do you know my story?

"Hey Dylan! Your dad and I are going out for dinner! It's our 20th anniversary!" My mom shouted at me from across the room with a beaming smile.
"Okay mom, have fun! But not too much fun" i replied with a smile. I can't believe they've been together for 20 years, that's just amazing.
"Look after the girls alright?" Mom asked politely. I replied with a nod and went to my sister's bedroom, curious as to what they were up to.

I peeped through the door and saw Samantha and Isabella, Samantha is 14, even though she's 14, she acts like a child. Isabella is only 3 and a half. They were playing with teddies, i chuckled when i saw Isabella's face, she looked confused and so lost, it was cute."Hey Samantha, mom and dad are leaving now" I told her. She nodded her head, smiled and brought Isabella up to mom and dad, and gave them a hug and a kiss on the cheek

As hours passed, i just sat on the couch watching tv shows and occasionally checked up on the girls. I was kinda worried about my parents, It was nearly 4 am when i heard the doorbell. I raced to the door thinking it was my parents. But my heart rate sped up when i saw who was standing on my doorstep. They had a slick uniform with a police badge on it. "Hello, are you Dylan Prescott?" The policeman asked. I nodded "What's wrong officer?" I asked curiously. My heart dropped at the next words that left the officers mouth. Everything was a blur from then, every other sentence he said hurt so much, like a knife stabbing my heart a million times over and over again. I couldn't take it, my knees felt weak and soon dropped to the floor. My face expression was blank, but my heart was broken into a million pieces.
"Dylan? Why are the police here?" Asked Samantha with her sleepy voice. My mouth opened but no words came out, an officer stepped in and explained everything to her.

The morning came and my eyes were puffy, so were Samantha's. We were on the couch just daydreaming, the officers words rung in my ear non-stop, "Your parents were involved in a car-crash, they has passed away, you're not able to look after both of your sisters. You have to give Isabella up for adoption"

Now, here i am, in court, fighting for my rights to take care of both of my sisters. Family stick together through thick and thin. :)

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!