Dance In The Dark

Once on a cold September night, I tossed and turned vigorously in my discomforting bed wondering why I could not close my eyes. I rolled to my left to face my illuminated window blinds upon the grand white wall. The moonlight peered through my sullen shutters. The Moon slid in slowly and danced around my room with much grace. It feathered my cabinets and cleaned my desk in a growingly elegant manner. He whispered confidently,

‘Would you like to dance with me?’ as he tipped his hat and reached out his hand.
I accepted and sleepily stood out of bed rubbing my right eye with the back of my hand. I grabbed his hand and stood at my windows as they flew open. The window shutters banged the wall as a confident wave of wind hit me, lifting my hair of my shoulders as it asked me to swim into the stream of starlight. As we still stood behind my grand window arch, the Moon turned to me and gazed upon my face as he stroked my cheek.

‘Are we ready?’

‘Will they think us strange?’

‘Who is they my dear?’ he questioned very lightly.

‘The entire world my estranged one. Is it not abnormal to dance alone in the night?’ I asked as I shied away from his face.

‘Well my dear, the darker the night, the brighter the stars. Sometimes we have to do the abnormal to claim what we deserve, need or even love.’ His passionate words persuaded my heart so I accepted his call and took a dance in the dark. The Moon cradled me in his arms and occasionally spun me with his twirling hand. And all at once, I felt accepted. I continued to dance as a white fog rolled in and the grass below my bare feet become lively with due. The fog conquered my vision and I abruptly awoke as I heard my name.

‘Katy! Katy! Are you alright?’ asked Lila. I was confused as to why she interrupted me.
‘You were singing.’

‘I was singing? In my sleep?’

‘I was confused sorry. I was not sure if you were awake, asleep or upset… you were behaving quite strange,’ Lila appeared a little concerned.

‘Maybe it’s okay to be a little different. Maybe it is healthy to be a little abnormal.’ I kissed her cheek and fell back to sleep with her arms wrapped around my shoulders.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!