Nature

Her steps are small, careful, dainty. She has a fear that if she were to destroy the perfection she sees before her that she will be punished. Lukewarm, salty water laps at her feet like a playful puppy wanting attention. Her eyes dart to the sky. It is vibrant; strokes of pink and orange that resembles the soft supple skin of a perfectly ripened peach are sprayed out before her. The waves mirror the sky, red and oranges clash with the gorgeous blues and greens in the water, all of them bleeding together like 'Starry Night'. The fiery golden orb hangs low in the sky and is reflected by the big mirror below it and as it slowly sets the two images come together, become one and then recede into the waters below.

She slowly sits herself down at the waters edge, making as little sound as possible so as not to be intrusive. The sand slowly grips her feet, sucking them down. She doesn't care. A slight breeze tugs at her long locks that catch the last rays of the light. The breeze is cool but calming, different to that of the thick air in the city and it caresses her skin, gently brushing past her ears like little whispers so much so that it feels like someone is there with her. She climbs back to her feet, pulling them from the prison the sand has encased them in and then begins to walk again.

Powerful gusts now hit her. It tugs her hair, pushing the mass into her face before taking her breath away. Each gust hits her hard in the chest, the warm feeling she had slowly begins to evaporate, replaced with an ice cold feeling that spreads through her body, wrapping around her heart. She shivers involuntarily and that's when she notices the sky is purple, almost black and so is the water. It bites at her ankles, harsh and nothing like it has been before. It is cold now. Like ice. The once friendly, inviting water is now anything but. She shivers again and shakes her head before she turns to leave, the perfect soft sand now tainted by her heavy footedness. But slowly the waves come in and erase them, returning the beach back to it's former glory and making her realise just how insignificant and easily forgotten she is in nature.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!