Keys


Part 1 – Keys
Why am I here? I think to myself. I sneeze constantly as dust makes it way up my nose. A ragged old bear sits at the foot of a mysterious box that’s covered in thick layers of dust. My ears hurt from the screeching of creatures in this dusty old place. The dirt makes me feel sick as it crawls down my throat. Then I see something that makes me smile, an old tea pot. I pick it up, but it soon turns to dust and runs through my fingers. I stare at it a while, then, I’m about to pick up the teddy, when I hear a low growl. I pick up the screwdriver that’s lying at my feet and throw it in the direction of the growl. I run for the door. It’s locked!
Part 2 – Busted
I pace around the dusty old room, trying to think of a way out of here. Then I think, the door was unlocked when I came down here and now it’s locked… A loud bang stops me, followed by the crack of a fire being started. Footsteps stomp right above my head. I rip the lid of the mysterious box, not worrying about the loud noise it makes when the lid hits the rough ground. Nothing but dust, spiders, and more dust. I trip over a large piece of metal. I pick it up and pry open the door. I scrunch up my face when I hear the ear piercing creak from the old basement door, then sneak up the stairs. I am at the door when I hear the loud gasp of an old lady.
Part 3 – I should be leaving.
“You!”
The lady’s croaky old voice tickles my ears. I can almost smell her foul breath. She had long brown hair that looked like it could fall out with the lightest pull. Her clothes were ragged and she wore a long black cloak.
“What are you doing here!” she yelled.
“I…I got lost,” my voice shaky and high pitched.
“Oh, well, would you like to stay for tea?”
“Well I really should be going,” I say and race out the door slamming it shut as I go.
Part 4 – Cooper
“Anna!” says Cooper.
I know that voice anywhere.
“Cooper, thank goodness you’re here!” I say with a sigh of relief.
Cooper is my brother. He has short, black hair and always carried a sphere just in case he came across any sort of danger.
“I was looking for you everywhere!” he said. “Where were you?”
“No time for that now, look behind you!” I say in a loud whisper.
He slowly turned his head and we both run.
Part 5 – “Agreed?”
“What…was…that?” said Cooper.
We were both out of breath when we saw that it was still chasing us.
“A wolf!” I yelled, running for my life.
Cooper threw his sphere, but missed.
Where’s a unicorn when you need one? I thought and wished for one. It never came, I was so disappointed. Suddenly Cooper dragged me into a cave.
“Let’s both agree that we will stay with each other when we are in the woods and not walk into strangers houses? Agreed?”
“Agreed,” I say, my heart pounding and my legs ready to burst at any minute.
“I wonder how far we are from home?” I ask.
Then somehow, in this dark and cold cave, we both fall asleep.

In the morning Cooper and I plan to set off for home at noon.
It takes a while to get home, but when we finally do, we eat all the food we have and then collapse onto our beds.
I wake up the next morning and wish that it was all just a bad dream.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!