Faolan's Discovery... The Moment Of Truth

The silver wolf cub dug his claws into the ground. He was breathing hard and his face was a shadow in the dark clearing. He looked up and around. He was alone. Or so he thought…
“Faolan…” A ghostly bark jerked him up. He whirled around to see the shadow of a wolf against the bushes. He looked back and two wolves stood watching them. One was black with a white underbelly, and one was, weirdly, a bright green colour with a blue underbelly. Faolan stepped back and raised his hackles. He growled threateningly. “Quiet, young one,” whispered the black she-wolf. “We are here to help you. I am Coal. This is my mate, Fluro.” She looked at the dog before turning back to Faolan. The cub’s blue eyes stared at her suspiciously. “You must believe us,” she began. “You are in terrible danger, like this forest. A time of darkness is coming,” Coal’s claws slid out and her eyes narrowed. “And only four can save it.” “What?” Faolan’s voice was full of doubt. “And you expect me to believe that?” “I’m not finished,” Coal barked angrily. “One an Element of Fire, one an Element of Earth, one an Element of Air and one an Element of Darkness.” Faolan scoffed. “Leave me alone.” Faolan turned to walk away, but Fluro leapt on him and pinned him down. “If you don’t listen,” Fluro snarled. “This whole forest could be destroyed!” Faolan opened his mouth to reply, but Coal stepped in. “Easy, Fluro. This young cub does not understand.” She looked down at Faolan. “You cannot expect him to carry such a great weight on his shoulders.” “He may be a cub,” Fluro snapped. “But that does not mean-.” “Does not mean what?!” Faolan barked. “What do I have to do with any of this?”
Coal peered at him through narrowed eyes. “You are an Element.” “Which one?” Faolan challenged. “We do not know,” Coal answered. “It is up to you to discover this.” “Oh, and that makes it so much more exiting!” barked Faolan, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “No!” growled Coal. “It makes no difference. You just have to deal with this.” She breathed in deeply, and looked at Faolan once more. “If you really care about this place, you will tell your friends.” “They’re not my friends!” Faolan snarled, unsheathing his claws. “I don’t care!” Coal’s voice suddenly turned fierce. “This was my home, and I am not going to let a selfish pup let it be destroyed! If you do not help this forest, you will be forever haunted by the spirits of it!”
Suddenly, Coal’s body faded and she disappeared. Faolan looked around for Fluro, but the weirdly coloured dog was gone. Faolan looked up at the tallest tree, narrowing his eyes at the sun shining next to it. Sighing, Faolan padded off, away from the little clearing and towards the future that was waiting for him…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!