The Victim

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

I arrived home, flinging my bag to the wooden floor. My nose detected a familiar aroma of chicken stir-fry and beef stew.
“How was school, Scarlett?” my mother questioned from the kitchen.
“Good,” I grunted as I hastily scurried into my room. I switched on my laptop and checked the recent posts. ‘Tuesday, 3:34pm, Britney: No-one wants you here, Scarlett. You don’t belong in our school. Go away and stay away.’ I scrolled down to the replies, bracing myself for the insults that would be hurled at me. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I read the comments.

As I strolled inconspicuously across the school grounds, the message echoed in my head. ‘No-one wants you here… You don’t belong in our school… Go away and stay away…’ My thoughts were interrupted by an abrupt shove.
“Watch it!” a boy growled.
“I-I’m sorry,” I stammered as I stumbled aside. Britney snickered as she passed by.
“See you in class, loser!” she smirked.

My mind had drifted off as the teacher lectured us on the difference between Neanderthals and Homo-sapiens. My chin rested on the palm of my hand as I gazed out the window. The criticisms and harsh remarks replayed in my head.
“Scarlett! If you can’t pay attention, I’ll send you outside!” the teacher snapped. She had a habit of erupting mid-sentence.
“Sorry, Ms Garrett,” I muttered.
The girls in the front row sniggered and whispered between themselves.

As I placed my lunch on my table, Britney approached me.
“Well, well. Look what we have here. Spaghetti with extra sauce?” she grabbed the container and launched the contents at me. I was smothered in spaghetti and my hair was covered in a red paste. A crowd of students surrounded me, filming the event on their phones. I glanced at Britney with a shocked expression plastered on my face as she mouthed the word ‘loser’.

I gazed up into the night sky at the stars. It was as if a jar of glitter had toppled over onto a black canvas. I sighed. As my eyes searched the sky, a voice in my head urged, “Don’t let her do this to you. It is not her fault. She has not realised that she is doing something terribly wrong. You have the power to change this.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!