Fades To White

I used to hate water. No, seriously, I couldn't stand it. It's cold, wet, and ready to drag you under. I have had experience in going under, it's not fun. Here's my story. I think it has a happy ending, but that's for you to decide.

After another dreadful day of school, I walk home in the cold and wet rain. Finally I get home, drenched, ready to have a shower. Nobody's home except me. My mum is at work, Dad left us years ago, and I'm an only child.

BANG!!!

I hear, coming from upstairs. I run up with myself and my school bag. No one is there, no one except the water outside filling up so high, it reaches the window.

'AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!' I scream.
My Mum's face appears at the window, screeching for help. What do I do? Do I go out and help her, or stay safe, inside? Why do I have to hate water so much?

I grab my polka dot rain coat, and run to the door. I put my ice cold hands on the door knob, and open it slowly. A gush of water comes rushing inside, the house is filled with water. I swim through all the floating car parts, the street signs, furniture from others houses. I can barely hold my breath.

Then, I see the faint shadow of my mums body, drifting along the surface of the water. I speed up and hold her in my arms, she is still alive. I try and get her to safety, but the current is too strong.

Suddenly, a large 'STOP' sign runs into my head. It hurts so much, I can barely stay above the water. I feel faint, and my mother is struggling too. Then, in that split second, I realise it's all over. We will all die anyway.

It seems my mum has figured that out as well. Gives me a kiss, and tells me that everything will be alright. I tell her I love her, and then, everything turns to white.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!