Within Walls Of Wax

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

The fire burned consistently, the little flame held within walls of wax. It flickered side to side, almost as if it were dodging something that might snuff its life out. The flame itself was of a beautiful orange, not like an orange of a marigold, but more like the moments before the sun escapes your eyes, as it drifts off to sleep. Deep within the orange, there was the faintest of red, almost as if a rose were blooming from the wick, and beneath that; a soil of blue.

The wax contained the flame, but it didn’t hinder it from growing tall. It merely posed as a station for it to sit, though the flame only melted it down. It was almost as if they were two lovers that did not know how to love each other; they did not know how to show their affection other than to hurt each other. To keep one contained and the other to be free, they simply did not work and yet they did in the most simplest of forms.

Though they seemed to be together forever, it was only a matter of time before both of them could no longer live. For the wax melted away, and the fire flicked out.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!