Shadows

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

Shadows
Written by Victoria Clunne


Sometimes I drift off. Out of this world, hoping to never return. To find my place, where I belong. A place I can call home.

Every night in the shadows. I see something moving with the wind. Camouflaging with nature.

In my mind I know somethings out there, but I force it to stay out. Hoping that if I ignore it for long enough it’ll disappear. But it won’t leave. Night after night. Non stop. Once, long ago, I waited at my window, hoping to discover it. It never came. I thought it must’ve known I was there, waiting for it.

It’s been following me my whole life. At home, school, even on holidays and camp. It’s like I can never leave it’s sight.

Dreams. Everyone has different dreams every night... but not me. One dream that never ends. Each night it continues from the previous. Sometimes I wonder, does it mean anything, if so, what?

Three years passed by. I was the only person in my dream. As I got older, a voice began to appear. It would talk to me. It told me I wasn’t alone. That there’s others out there like me. Others I have to discover myself.

But reality is different. My parents fight all the time. I ask them what’s going on? But all they say is, “You’re too young to understand, maybe when you’re older”. I know I’m old enough to understand. I’m 11 now. I’ve grown up.

Again...I leave the world, into my dream. This time it’s different. It’s all black and misty. Fog covers up the land. Wrapping it in it’s blanket. I continue walking around. Not knowing where I am. At length, I see light. I walk towards it. Hoping it won’t disappear. It doesn’t leave. I move closer. My heart is beating 10 times faster. I see a dark figure blocking the light. It moves towards me. Grabs me by the hand and whispers something in my ear. “You’re not alone. There’s others out there, yet to be discovered.” A loud noise awakes me. I jump back to reality. Confusion fills my mind. What was that? When I fall asleep tonight I hope to return to my dream. So I did. It was still black. Like an ocean of darkness lay upon me.

The voice told me that I had a choice between two paths, darkness or magic. “Having access to all this power may be dangerous”, it said. I have to be able to harness ice, fire, earth and electric into my veins. But I had to give up something. Something I didn’t think I needed. I miss it truly.

My life is in my dream. I’m now apart of this land. Never to return to my family.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!