I Am The Enemy

‘You don’t have to do this…’ I thought to myself, but I knew I that I actually did.
“You’ve come here today, because you were selected to protect Australia.” A commando shouted.
I’d been training to become an actress, when War is happening.
I was supposed to distract enemies, before they were to shoot.
But nobody here wanted this job. I’m 11, and the others range from 10-15.
Our parents forced us, because we would receive good pay.
But, I was different. I came here, from the enemy country, and I was to destroy the program.
They told me, it was distracting the soldiers, and I was to end it.
Ending it, meant placing a bomb in the camp, while everyone was sound asleep.
But after all, I could change everything. I could retaliate against my own country..?
“Now. Let’s try an acting scenario.” He grumbled.
“May I please go to the toilet?” I asked him quickly.
“Hurry.” The tall man grumbled.
I carried my bag carefully, and went into the centre of the camp.
I grabbed my compass, and it was in the very centre, therefore the radius of the bomb, would stretch just over the lines of the property.
I climbed up a tree, and placed the bomb, on the branch.
I duck-taped it to the tree, and set it to blow at midnight.
It would take me 13 minutes to leave the area, and not feel a thing.
So I knew, at 11:47PM, I would have to be off campus.
“Took your time. Now, go and join group number 4. Your scenario: ‘A man is wounded on his leg, and the soldier is about to kidnap him.’” He pointed towards the group of people in the woods.
The place was full of green and trees. It felt like the hunger games, with a touch of the Twilight area.
I joined them, and watched in horror.
They told us, ‘Every scenario here, has happened at least 50 times, to an Australian soldier.’
I was mortified, and my gut dropped. They were all innocent.
It was the government’s who’d created this mess, and forced others to kill others. I was disgusted.
And I was just as bad.
The day passed slowly. I wondered if I would make it out alive…?
What if my alarm doesn’t go off, and I die too?
Selfish was an understatement. The sweet, smiling people, filling the atmosphere at dinner time, only had 5 hours to live.
I knew I had to change it.
I rushed to the trees, and it was hard to find which tree it was in.
I’d gone so high. How was I to see it?
Suddenly, the duck-tape caught my eye.
I rushed up the tree, and realized I’d never unassembled a bomb. I’d only ever triggered one.
I fiddled and fumbled, but nothing I did was working.
If I was to point it out to a camp instructor, I would be arrested.
Could I unassembled the bomb in time?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!