The Fire's Wrath

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

The crackling of the burning wood did not bother her, nor did the wind which was blowing a gale, destroying everything in it's path. The sky was as red as blood. Fire flickered around her but she was not afraid, she had seen what the fire's wrath could do and a part of her told her to run but she had to protect her house. With a hose in one hand and a silver bucket in the other, she stormed towards the fire. Her face showing no regret. The heat of the fire was unbearable, the hot air blowing towards her face. Her eyes itched and stung from the thick, dense smoke in the air. Small flames, flickering in the burnt grass creeped towards her. She poured her bucket of water on them, causing a sickening hiss as the black grass turned grey.

Above her in the trees, the fire swarmed like flies on a warm midsummers eve. Oxygen was scarce and she breathed shallowly, shrugging to grasp the remaining oxygen. The white picket fence which surrounded the only home she had ever known was on fire. The wood slowly decaying in the fire's wrath. She sprayed water onto the fire but it was no use, the fire kept coming back. In the distance she could see the fire's main front, rushing towards her like a moving army. She looked back at the house and a thought crossed her mind. Was her life more important then a house? A sudden doubt reached her strong willed mind. She was going to die if she stayed. Behind her, her old blue truck stood untouched by the slaughtering flames. She looked at the truck and then back at the flame. And then it happened? A sudden thought to run, sprang her muscles into action.

She jumped into the car and turned her key then changed the old gears quickly. The truck lurched forward and the tires spun on the loose gravel underneath. But soon it was speeding down the long drive, she sat on the saggy brown leather seats focusing on the fire around her. Abruptly, a tree fell down in front of her, the brakes screeched as she came to a halt. Everywhere she looked the fire was coming closer. She got out of the car and did the one thing she had promised herself not to do. She ran as fast she could, she did not know where she was going only that she couldn't stop running. Even as the untouched town came into view, she would not look back. And she never did...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!