Back To The Whales

I glanced at the watch on Mum’s hand. Only 9am? I couldn’t hold my excitement any longer.
“Wheeeeeeeeze,” I grunted, impatiently tapping my foot on the floor.
“Kesia,” Mum noted to me, “There is a very important skill I learnt at quite a young age, and I want you to learn it.”
“Patience, young one. A warrior must learn patience to become successful,” Meelee said, imitating Nin Shobi, a guy that went on Maltrazeand’s Got Talent last year and turned out to be a joke. Typical Meelee, I thought.
“Kesia! Meelee! We’re here. Get your bags and say hello to ancient Manlinie, which used to be called Sydney ages ago!” Mum exclaimed.
“5L and 5M! Listen up! We’re going to the Manlinie Whale Memorial. Stick together and tell a teacher or parent helper if you need to go somewhere. Go with a partner, and whatever you do, don’t touch the water!” Miss Lenhestey instructed us. Everyone wanted to know what a ‘whale’ was! I asserted Meelee, “Go with your friends,” and I walked around the city and museum with the group fishing for information.
“And here is an AI’s interpretation of ‘the whale’’.”
“So 21st century!” Artur giggled, a boy in my class.
“It’s beautiful,” I muttered as quietly as an empty ocean. There, before my eyes, laid a 5D image of one of the prettiest animals I had ever seen. It was as large and as blue as a lapis lazuli in a lady’s pendant, yet as creamy as cream cheese on a golden slice of toast. “Why isn’t it alive now?” I accusingly demanded in disbelief, as if blaming it on the tour guide would make a difference.
“It was already endangered, and some wanted to hunt it, so eventually there were no whales left in the ocean. The last whale died back in 2108, quite a few decades ago. That’s why the water is unsafe to drink. That’s why you can only drink florine muralis solutions. That’s why we are on the verge of extinction. There was too much plankton. They bred uncontrollably and grew to 3x their size from 100 years ago. So eventually they invaded out sweet water.” My heart sank. “The food chain was disturbed and was the reason for the unliveable conditions we have to survive in.”
The reason we had to survive like this...
“Meelee!” I shouted. “Mum! Come with me.” Mum inquired. “What’s wrong Kesia?” I didn’t reply. “Kesia Sadr! Listen to me!” Mum ordered. I turned my head. “Just wait, Mum.”
I raced to the particle generator, also known as the Time Machine, and stuffed my little brother and my mum inside and pressed REGENERATE. I popped myself in like rice in stuffed capsicum and closed the glassy door. I looked to my left and pressed 2014. “Mum, Meelee?”
“What is it?” Mum and Meelee questioned with a nervous look.
“We are going to make my father proud, go back to 2014 and save the whales!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!