Two Futures

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition


As Jeffrey sat there he saw before him two choices.

Two choices
Two futures

The first choice he saw had a beautiful city. The glassy skyscrapers glistening with the morning sunrise. The earth was green and full of grass. Cars and trucks gliding throughout the air like huge birds and the actual birds were just as plentiful. On the golden horizon, an awe inspiring sunrise. The fresh morning air cut through with powerful beams of light. Each drop of dew on the grass was shining like a new light bulb. The cool of the air clashing with the warmth of the sun. The air filled with the ghostly steam of the evaporating dew. This truly was a beautiful place.

In front of Jeffrey he saw a long, winding path leading into the city. The pavement was in need of repair and looked out of place to the city. Jeffrey looked at his bare feet. It would be quite uncomfortable traversing this path with bare feet.

Jeffrey took a step back and thought.

Two choices
Two futures

Jeffrey took a glance at his second choice. The land was dirty and devoid of life. The city was barley visible under the thick, grimy air. There was no sign if life except for the headlights of cars that just barely cut through the air. There was no sunrise. There was only dark.

In front of him he saw a luxurious vehicle. It looked similar to a limousine. The seats looked very plush and comfortable. As Jeffrey peered behind the vehicle he saw it was spewing a noxious gas from its exhaust pipe. No doubt the same gas coating the city. Jeffrey looked again at his bare feet, thinking about the damaged path.

Jeffrey took a step back and thought.

Two choices
Two futures

Jeffrey thought about both choices. The first choice was the obvious one. The place was perfect. The green landscape, the beautiful city, the damaged path. Jeffrey didn't want to walk the path. While it would be fairly easy, the path was very damaged and Jeffrey had no shoes. He thought about the limo. That would be much more comfortable, but where would it take him. The filthy city? Jeffrey didn't want to go there. Jeffrey decided. He would take his first choice. Sure the path was an inconvenience, but he would be going to a much better place.

Jeffrey got up from his picnic and walked across the broken path to the bin. He put his wrappers and chicken bones into it and walked back across the park to his picnic. After packing up his rug he went to his car and drove home.

Two choices
Two futures

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!