The Mystery Of Bellmore

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

I woke with a curious feeling. My clock was winding forward faster and faster. I could hear birds singing and talking. I walked out of my bedroom door to see that what was once my home had turned into a mysterious garden. The flowers looked like bells and swung side to side making a noise like chimes. The bushes were cut into odd shapes and a sign next to a rickety, wooden gate said ‘Entry to Bellmore’.

I pushed back the gate and standing right there was a huge man dressed in blue and gold. He said in a low voice "Welcome to Bellmore". He pushed back his scruffy hair and at that moment I knew that this large guard was a giant. "What's your name?" I asked, "It is Curly" he replied. “I’d be happy to show you around” he offered. I went through the gate and my nose filled with delightful smells. Curly showed me past crooked houses, carts filled with weapons and elves selling freshly baked bread and boiled lollies at market stalls.

Then I heard a roar, louder than thunder. Flames burst out of the ground and a second later, a huge dragon-like creature came rising up from the fiery flames. Some people shrieked and ran to take cover. Others grabbed weapons to fight the beast.

I had to think fast, but it seemed that my head was clouded in thick fog. I finally thought of an idea. I went up to the creature and tried to calm it down, like I had once done to my little brother. The creature slowed to a stop and I saw that it was only angry because it had a stick wedged in its throat. I tended to the beast and pulled it out quickly before his jaws slammed shut. A cut was still left in the gentle creature’s throat. I asked Curly, who was still amazed, what I could do about the cut. He explained about a flower that can heal any cut or bruise, “It is in the healing garden, the first one I showed you”.

When I finally found the garden I didn’t know which flower to pick. I chose the pink and yellow flower in the shape of a heart. I brought it to the beast and he sipped the nectar out. I looked at his throat and the cut had disappeared. The creature flew away never to be seen again.

Curly congratulated me and we all celebrated until I heard the faint ringing of my alarm clock in the distance. I knew it was time to go. I rushed past the burnt patches of grass, through the open gate, to my bedroom door.

I can’t wait for my next adventure in Bellmore.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!