The Painting

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

The Painting
by Lirra Eady

One rainy and miserably cold Saturday, Jack, a nine year old boy was laying in bed listening to the water dripping down the drain, staring at a photo of his dad.His mum and dad are divorced so he doesn't see his dad much. His dad is an artist, when Jack was little his dad painted a pirate ship for Jack to hang on his wall. Jack looked at the painting and remembered watching his dad paint it.

Then suddenly he felt a shaking motion and he looked at the painting and water was gushing out of the painting! Suddenly he was on the pirate ship and a massive green kracken with firey eyes was attacking the ship!
'Shoot him dead!!!' screamed the pirate behind Jack angrily.
'Aye Aye captain!!' screamed another pirate. There was lots of commotion on the ship, people were attacking the kracken and people were hiding.
'Ahoy there young matey!' called the captain, walking over to Jack 'When did you get here hey?!'
Jack was startled 'Well uh uh i was in my room and water was um gushing out of the painting and then uh i was here!' mumbled Jack nervously. They both looked up and the kracken was gone.
'Where did that beast go?' asked the captain. Everyone just shrugged 'Oh well least he's gone and didn't do any damage to me ship!' yelled the captain happily.
'Uh captain?! He didn't do anything to that side of the ship but he did do damage to that side of the ship!!!' called the crew
'MY SHIP!!' screamed the captain. 'Well you made this mess you clean it up!' he told Jack
'Did not!' screamed Jack.
'You wanna work here matee you gotta clean here!' argued the captain
'But I don't!!!' yelled Jack. 'I wanna go home!' whined Jack.
Then Jack started hearing these voices. One angry voice called 'Jack! Jack! JACK!!' he woke up to his mum yelling in his ear 'Jack you haven't finished your chores now get up and do them Now!!!' yelled his mum.
'I must have fallen asleep' called Jack.
'Yes you did' his mum replied.
'You have no idea what a crazy dream I had Mum' Jack told his mum.
'Great! I'll hear about it after you finished your jobs'.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!