Last Night

She lay there open-eyed staring at the ceiling. The howling of the wind was haunting her. The door was banging on the wooden frame that had seen better days. Her name was engraved on a plaque, hanging just by a string and a nail. The cabinet stood on only three wheels. It made a shadow on the beige carpet, like a ghost.
The banging of the door became more intense. The creaking of the floor sounded like footsteps. It was something. Getting up, trying to feel her way around, she took a firm grip on the steel door handle. Turning it slowly, trying not to wake up a soul, peeking through the tiny gap which enabled her to see what it was. There in sight was a living species. She briskly moved away from the light. It didn’t see her, but by the blink of an eye, there was nothing. She stood there in silence, petrified.
Her plain white clock read 5:00. Her father had normally returned home, hours ago. She started to panic and was breathing deeply. She then calmed down, laid her head on the pillow, took a deep breath, shut her eyes and waited until the morning.
The sound of the ghost was repeatedly on her mind. The scene which happened last night scared her. She got out of bed and walked to the kitchen.
Dad wasn’t there. The atmosphere was blank There were many negative aspects of what could have happened. Sitting there home alone, one wrong move may have lead to disaster. An hour passed by until she got a phone call. She was forbidden to answer the phone. This time was different.
“Is this 248 Henning Street?” “Yes,” she replied. “Your father has been injured in a vehicle accident and is in hospital. He may not survive the night.” The devastation shot a shiver down her spine. “What will I do?” she exclaimed. “You should stay at home.” “Sure.” She went back to bed.
The bright light shone through the curtains. She heard a sound as she awoke. She peeped through the narrow hallway. There was her dad. She was delighted. “I was worried sick!” she said. “So was I,” her father declared. From then on they loved each other more than ever!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!