False Advertising

They struggled to cope when she told them she had something to say. Surely it was the inevitable truth. She sat them down on the dull grey, yet luxurious, sofa and met their eyes. The endless sweat pouring from their skin was clearly visible. They were nervous; the signs were there. They were trembling from the butterflies in their stomach, they were tapping their feet and sweaty hands, and they were both biting their trembling lower lips. In fact, the father was close to drawing blood. And when the shivering, frightened mother finally decided to speak, they did not bother to hide their violent stutter.
“W-what is i-i-it that you want-ted to ask, de-e-ear?” she asked, making direct eye contact with their daughter.
“Yes, please don’t keep us on the edge much longer, Puck.”
Puck cast her eyes down, unsure of how she was supposed to explain herself. She twisted a strand of golden hair around her dainty fingers. This was quite literally the hardest thing she’d ever had to say to her beloved parents, and it was truly heartbreaking. They’d always been so kind! How could she say this to them? Especially her mother. Her poor, sweet mother. Good lord, she couldn’t bear the thought of it.
“I’m not sure how I’m supposed to tell you this,” she began, “but I’ve been keeping it hidden for a while, and I think it’s time I told you.” She was now fiddling with the small book situated in her lap. It calmed her nerves slightly; thinking of the characters inside and how they could overcome an abundance of terrifying situations
The mother squeezed her husband’s hand, reminding herself to stay calm. Puck is your daughter, she thought, even if she different, you will still love her.
Puck’s father then spoke up. “Please, darling, don’t make it hard on yourself or us. Just tell us.” He knew what she was going to tell them, and he knew that despite his beliefs he had to try his hardest to understand his daughter and care for her.
Puck’s mother burst into tears, hiding her face in her hands. Oh, she couldn’t control her emotions anymore! Why wouldn’t Puck just say it? They’d been expecting the news sooner or later and had been busy preparing for the very day Puck decided to open her mouth and reveal it!
“Damn it, Puck!” she cried, staring the young woman straight in the eye. “Do you truly believe we are that dumb? We know that you’re, well… into girls.”
Puck raised an eyebrow and burst into a fit of laughter. “What?! No I’m not! I just wanted to tell you that those muffins you were so proud of baking last week tasted awful, and Dad thinks that too!”
Puck’s mother and father both stared at the girl rolling around on the carpet, giggling loudly and endlessly as she clutched her stomach. That was the last thing they’d expected to hear.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!