Untitled 3

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

I don’t have a name. Never have, probably never will. My mother died while birthing me, so I was given to my mother’s rich cousin, who just left me in a room with some toys. A nurse came twice a day to feed me. I was often told that if I had been a noisy child, I would have been thrown in the river. I don’t doubt it. I was given enough food, second-hand books, clothes and toys. Sometimes I was given an old textbook, so I learnt Maths, Science and History. I was given English textbooks too, but they never taught me anything as I already knew everything in them from reading stories. But I was never given a name. I used to think that having a name was a privilege, and all the story people were privileged, but I learnt better. One day when I was 8, I asked the nurse how people got names. She laughed, and said that everyone got a name unless they were completely useless and unloved. I didn’t like her after that. One day, when I was 9 or 10, someone took me from my room and put me out on the street. I hoped life might be better, but it wasn’t. I had to scavenge about for food and clothing as a dirty thief. Sometimes, some kind person gave me half a sandwich or an apple quarter. I went to the library sometimes and read. There are so many books, and I loved reading them all. But even though I got given this, I was never given a name, because after all, who would want to name a dirty, thieving, orphan girl?
My name was the first untitled. Untitled 1.
Very soon after being abandoned, I found a book on the street. It’s a really, really fantastic book. I can get lost in it and forget my troubles, but I can also think about it and relate it to myself. That’s the great thing about fantasy books – the worlds are so easy to get lost in yet it so closely resembles life in our boring world. And it’s one of those books I can read again and again but it never gets boring. Only, it’s quite old, so it had been battered around a fair bit before I found it. The front cover and the first few introduction pages are missing, as is the back cover, so I don’t know what it’s called. I’ve looked all through the book, but it isn’t there.
The book, which suits me so well, was also untitled. Untitled 2.
I found this bit of paper on the street and decided to write on it and make it special. I now travel to different houses, but at least I get fairly consistent food. I’m 13 or 14 now, and I’ve had my share of good and bad. This paper, which I shall treasure, is my life.
Untitled 3.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!