Changing The Past

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

He held onto my hand soo tightly. Not wanting to let me go. I was silently willing him to. There's basically a giant sucking time portal underneath me.I want him to let me go. I need him to let me go.

"You have to let me go. You have to let me go, Tim." I say the words so quietly -so slowly- that I'm almost certain that he didn't hear me over the whirring of the portal. But he does. His face changes. It changes into one of determination and sadness.

"No, I won't." I plead with my eyes. Telling him that it's the right thing to do.

"Tim, please; I can save them. I can stop my family from dying." I honestly want to cry.

"You can't. Things happen for a reason, May. If you do this, things will have a domino effect. What if I don't know who you are? What if I don't remember you? What if you don't remember everything that we've been through together?" His heartbreaking face -his sad eyes- make me not want to go through with this.

"If we're meant to be together, we will." And with that I forcefully took my hand from his grasp and fell into the vortex.

In the past

I woke up in Gotham Park with a massive headache. Trying to remember what happened. When I did, my eyes widened in realization and I jumped to my feet. Which wasn't a very good idea because I almost fell over again. I tried to get my bearings. Once I did, I ran over to the newspaper dispenser. I grabbed one and looked at the date. 15th November 2008. "Shit!" It's the date of their death.

Crap, what time is it? I look at my watch and see that it's 5:00pm. I have to get to the outskirts of the city, in like an hour and a half. I'm so screwed. I practically sprint towards the bus stop. Luckily I have my bus ticket on me. I swipe it and take a seat. During the ride I think about everything I left behind. Tim. The hero gig. But, I miss Tim the most.

I get to my stop and hop off the bus. It's dark now. It would be romantic or beautiful if the sound of screams didn't fill the night air. I quickly pulled out my domino mask and put it on.

I run into the house and up the stairs, into my parents' bedroom, where it all happened. Eight years ago. I crash through the door to see my family standing there, frozen in fear, and shock of my entrance. I turn to the masked figure and kick the blade out of his hand. His eyes widen. And for a moment I think he's actually afraid.

That is until he got into a fighting stance. He charges at me. I dodge it easily and when he gets back into his stance, I punch him in the face. He's knocked out cold. The sirens echo in my ears. So I run.

When I get to the back yard I stop at the trees and take off my domino mask. I feel someone's eyes on me.This feeling feels familiar. It can't be him because if he was here, then he would've stopped that man eight years ago. I turn around. But there's no one there. Typical.

All of a sudden I start to fade. I try to scream out to anyone that's listening. But of course no one is. After I fade, everything goes black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!