The Day Of The Moon

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

The Moon and the Sun are the little circles we see when we occasionally look up at the sky. They both sparkle brightly, and they both move around constantly. They seem to have equal parts in life, the Sun for day, and the Moon for night, each occupying half of the day.
But this is not the truth, for in the night most of the time, only part of the Moon is ever seen, and on rare occasions is the full Moon ever seen. On top of that, even though the Moon is far more beautiful than the Sun, the beauty of the Moon is seen far less than the Sun, as everybody is sleeping during the night, their eyes closed to the magnificence of the Moon.
The Moon ponders about its existence, up there in the sky, surrounded by all the little twinkling stars. It wonders about how unfair it is, and it thinks about how it should have been. In the past, when time was non-existent, when it was all nothing…
The Moon was birthed into existence, through unknown powers, and with it, the Sun. The Sun received full, nourishing power to make it strong and healthy, whereas the Moon, the forgotten one, the shadow, the runt of the two, was neglected and had to search for its own source of power. It barely survived through this period, and it was extremely fortunate to have been able to continue its life, albeit it be a sad one.
Unfair enough as it was, the Moon was again put at a significant disadvantage. The distance between the Sun and the People was close enough to touch, from the view of the universe, while the poor Moon was miles away, having wandered from its birthplace in search of energy. The Moon carried itself all the way until it was literally touching the People. It was tired after the move, and therefore did not have as much power to do as much as the Sun could.
The Sun dominated the People, even making them believe that it was their source of power, that without it they would die. This was of course false, but the People were blind and listened. The Moon, helpless to do anything but watch, was still not giving up, not after what it had been through. So it tried one last time. And this time, it succeeded.
The Sun was proud, far too proud. It knew that it had immense power, and that there was none that was better than it. The Sun ignored its twin, the Moon, as it knew it had nothing to worry about. The Moon used this to its advantage, and launched an attack on the Sun, taking it completely by surprise. All the Moon wanted was to prove to the Sun that it had the power to be at least his equal, to finally have a fair chance in all its existence. The Sun refused this, and the Moon, its rage which began ever since its existence flooded the entire universe, overwhelmed the Sun, and the energy that came over the Moon, came over the whole world… it was unbelievable.
The Sun was defeated, depleted of any power. And finally, in its rightful place, where it should have been in the very beginning….
The Day of the Moon.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!