Laughing To Death

Avril and Rory Brennan were in the garden of 67 Latrenza Way, bouncing on their trampoline. Avril's long blonde hair flew out in front of her face, and she jumped just high enough to see over her neighbours's fences. It satisfied the detective urge in her, inherited from her father, an ex-cop. Mrs Grover's petunias were wilting, indicating that she hadless time on her hands than usual. Mr Patterson had recieved several metal cylinders of laughing gas for his dental clinic. Avril generally deduced her neighbours, finding it a good mental exercise. She was just peering into Ms Lennstry's garden, when a piercing scream cut through the air. The noise echoed, rebounding from all directions, making it impossible to fathom where it was coming from. The siblings stood still, shocked by the raw shriek. Swiftly, they made their way back into the house. Mrs Brennan had heard it too, but encouraged her children not to worry. What she didn't know was that her kids never worried. They plotted. The scream, Avril thought, must have been eminating from one of the three houses around them. Rory seemed to sense what his sister was thinking, and tried to prevent her from going into full 'Columbo' mode.
"Avril," he said quietly, hoping his mother wouldn't look up from her magazine and hear him. "Don't go investigating the neighbours. It could just be a horror movie turned up too loud." Avril batted her big green eyes.
"Of course I won't, Rory!" She whispered. "I just have some chocolates I have to sell for that school drive. I'm just going to see if they want any." Rory knew that Avril was up to one of her famous ploys, but was too tired to do anything to dissuade her.
"Whatever," He murmured lazily. "But don't go TOO crazy."


The next morning, Avril stole out of the house, tiptoeing in her muddy sneakers. It was six 'o' clock in the morning. She figured that her neighbours would be grumpier if she woke them up early, so they would be more likely to let something slip. First, she went to Mrs Grover's, but all she gained from that visit was a ten minute wait on the front porch, and even after that nobody answered. Next on the list was Ms Lennstry's victorian villa, but all that Avril got out of that visit was an angry growl from a rottweiler. She trudged dejectedly to Mr Patterson's house, hoping that she'd finally achieve something. When she knocked, he opened the door fully dressed, in a suit and rubber gloves.
"Ah, Miss Avril!" He grinned. "What can I do for you? You don't have a root canal do you?" His hair was dishevelled, and he looked as if he hadn't slept for ages. He noticed that Avril was staring curiously, and ran a hand through his hair.
"Rough night." He explained. "Come in." She followed him inside, and sat down on the couch. She knew his surgery was in the next room across, for she had been to him before. She smelt a curious scent.
"Mr Patterson?"
"Yes, dear?"
"Did you hear a scream last afternoon?"
The dentist looked shifty.
"Yes. I did."
Avril read his expression. She noted the cylinders of gas in the corner. She suddenly knew.
"But it wasn't a scream, was it?" She said. "It was a laugh."
Patterson looked guilty. He rushed across the room and unstoppered one of the containers.
Avril felt her diaphragm spasm. She was taken over. She looked at Patterson. He was laughing evilly. And then she realised, terrified. So was she.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!