Damien Sullivan's Journal Entry

3rd April, 1868

I have woken up to the moaning from Cell Block next door as the sun rose from the horizon. As the rooster stirred, I heard multiple yawns as loud as a trumpet smacking a drum from the wrong end. My cell mate, Billy Thompson, was mumbling to me from the lower bunk of the bed.

‘You don’t have to do this, you know.’ I heard him say in a sad tone. I knew exactly what he meant; I have to whip him today with the cat o’ nine tails 50 times because Bill didn’t do the warden’s bidding on the field last Saturday. He said if I whip him, I’d be able to go home to Brisbane and I’ll be free. I gave a long sigh.

‘Sorry, Bill.’ I replied. ‘But I desperately need to get back to Martha, my wife and son.’

‘I understand, Dan…’ he sobbed. Damien was my real name but I was called Dan for short. However guards just called me by my I.D number, “1.7.3.” Anyway, Bill was wailing last night for me to not whip him today, but I had to get home. The cobblestone walls creaked as the cell gates slapped open for work. As I stepped out, Billy scrambled out like he was on a stallion and shrieked ‘YOU’LL NEVER CATCH ME ALIVE!’ and he whooshed into a vent like lightning. There was a loud scream, then a “BANG!” and suddenly, there was silence. I was pretty sure he was either knocked out by a smack in the head or he was dead. I was worried for him. That’s for sure.

Later in the day, while I was on butcher’s duty while all the others other than the secondary prisoners were out on the fields harvestings. I saw a flicker of light. Then a shadowy figure arose from the hills near the bay of the island. I could tell it was not a guard, nor the warden, however. It was a prisoner. He was tattered and thriving with flies. His shirt and trousers were ripped. He was limbering and had blood trickling down his waist. It was as though he was – Nah, it couldn’t be, I thought to myself. He must still be down in the vent. I peeked a little closer and he noticed me. I jumped back and he ran off down the hill again. Could it be? I thought to myself once more. Oh no, I thought. I looked to see if no one was looking and I ran after him. As I reached the bay, the same figure ran up to me and smashed a rock in my face. The world faded around me and I blacked out.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!