A Piece Of Home

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

Spent was the best way to describe how he felt as he slumped down on the ancient park bench. The last of his energy was consumed driving here, the luscious botanical gardens of Brisbane. The shade from the dense foliage of his usual fig tree above him always calmed him after a battle of wills with his beloved wife. He despised fighting with her, but he could no longer stand Brisbane. She had convinced him to give the hazy metropolis a chance two months ago.

“Give it a try; you’ll grow to love it. You’ll feel right at home.” He’d turned his nose up at her and laughed, there was no way any respectable man from New South Wales would ever feel at home in Queensland. To desert the blue and don a jersey of maroon was sacrilege. “People from all states are moving there, and they love it, you’ll see.” she pleaded.
“Not everyone,” he thought sullenly, breathing the gardens’ fresh air, “Even after two months I hate this place.”

Those two months were terribly stressful for the couple. A change of states wasn’t the only problem for him. He’d been a country boy all his life. The enormity of the city amazed and intimidated him; the sheer number of people was horrifying. These emotions amalgamated with his preconceived resentment for Brisbane and became a new sense of loathing.
As time passed, the pressure got to him, until he could no longer stand it. Yesterday he’d roared at her thunderously. Afterwards he stood by helplessly, a dense sludge of guilt forming in his stomach, while she wept. He took her tenderly in his arms and they lamented each other’s torment until they slept.

He wished he could see Brisbane as she did. Country life had been wild in nature, but this city was a different sort of feral beast all together. The only place he could find that familiar sense of freedom, of nature, was here in the botanical gardens. They had been his sanctuary, until this morning.
He had walked out on it all. The maroons and the city’s strange form of life could not taint him anymore. He was going home. She had begged and pleaded hysterically, but his despair had surpassed words.

Sitting on that ancient park bench, he eyed the pond that was reminiscent of his home town’s creek. He’d felt compelled to visit the botanical gardens one last time. He’d made his final run through the familiar streets. He listened to the small animals and tasted the peculiar fusion of rural and urban in the air while he built up courage. He had made a grave mistake. His wife had been right. His heart belonged here now, in these gardens with the city around him. The beast of Brisbane had him transfixed in its gaze. His heart roared and screamed to stay while he twisted his wedding ring. Beneath that colossal fig tree, he finally understood. Brisbane offered a piece of home for everyone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!