Arena

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

Arena
In the year 2975 AD, a star in a nearby galaxy exploded causing massive amounts of cosmic rays to reach Earth. These rays hit young children and gave them special abilities. The ones who have special abilities keep it a secret or they are made to fight each other for entertainment.
Boys from the age of 13 have to mine precious gems for the evil government rulers. This is their story. . .

“I hate this life,” said Connor as he struck the rock with his pickaxe. “We all do, just be glad you don’t have to fight in the arena,” Jack said.
“Don’t you ever think about the negatives Jack?” asked Peter.
“Well yeah, but I focus on the positives” he said.
“Hey guys,” Connor called out, “come here; look what I’ve found!”
“Is that a bow?” the two boys asked. “Looks like it, and if there’s a bow, there must be a quiver!
The three boys started to dig; they finally found it . . . “You’d better hide it,” Jack suggested “and you could use it for hunting”.

The next day the soldiers were on patrol; they said that Peter had to be moved to a different mine and camp because they needed more workers there.
As soon as they started to take him, Jack piped in. “You know he has a family to look after, you can’t take him!”
He tried to force Peter out of their grasp, but being soldiers, one of them took out their sword and stabbed Jack through the chest. “Noooo!!!” Peter and Connor both yelled. As Jack fell to the ground, Connor’s eyes went black; electricity was flowing through them. “He’s a mutant!” the soldiers yelled, and from nowhere they knocked him out with a tranquiliser dart.
They took him to the arena; he had to sleep in a cell with a force field cage around it. The next day he had to fight another captive, ‘Earthen’. Apparently you’d get a name that matched your ability. The soldiers called Ryan ‘Pulse’.
He fought this ‘Earthen’ and easily won by zapping him with electricity.
The soldiers back at the camp found the bow, they brought it to Connor and he was allowed to use it against other mutants.
Ryan figured that he could turn his arrows into lightning bolts.
His next match was against Vortex, whose ability was electricity fields.
“Eat this Pulse” said Vortex. He flung an electro hammer at Ryan. “I can dodge your attacks anytime” Ryan yelled.
He drew an arrow and as he jumped out of the way, he fired, and the arrow met its mark, pinning Vortex to the wall.
“Go on” Vortex said. Ryan was about to kill him, then instead he helped Vortex up. Together they destroyed the massive forcefield surrounding the arena using Vortex’s skill and Ryan’s power over the bow.
They sprinted to the cells and set the mutants free. Together the captives escaped and left the arena a pile of ash.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!