The Ballroom

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

Sophie sat down at a table in the corner of the ballroom. She did not recognise a single face, but that was probably a good sign. Looking coldly around the room full of stupid rich people with glasses of champagne and shiny shoes, she reminded herself how she detested these posh fools. Barely any of them had actually earned their fortune – they’d all just inherited it (and taken credit for things their grandparents did). The person she was awaiting had not yet arrived and until that occurred she would just quietly observe.
She was asked to dance many times throughout the night – and no wonder; she had a fair complexion with a slim but chiselled jaw, stylishly pulled-back dark hair, deep chocolate-coloured eyes and a gorgeous white flowing dress that clung to her slender body. She could have any man she desired, but that was far from her mind this evening.
Sophie became aware that she was actually starting to enjoy herself; piano playing softly in the background, the hum of conversation, sparkling chandeliers and waiters offering food and drink. Sophie detached herself from the reality of life and was able to relax, watching people talk and dance, and taking a sample from the waiter’s plate every time he passed.
Just as she was finishing her third morsel, another young man approached her.
“Would you care to join me for a dance?” he asked.
“I would rather knock off a fourth plate of shrimp!” Sophie bluntly stated.
He mistook this statement for a joke and laughed heartily. “You have an amazing sense of humour, you really must have at least one dance”, he smiled charmingly.
It was at this moment that Sophie finally spotted the person she had been waiting for. “No. I really don’t want to, sorry”, she said and started towards the door.
“Oh come on! Surely I’m not so ugly that my offer is declined?” he said with such a fake sad look that Sophie couldn’t help but scoff. She needed to escape this irritation before her opportunity had passed.
“I’m gay!” Sophie exclaimed over her shoulder.
He gasped in shock and took a step back. Sophie couldn’t have cared less as she swiftly made her way to the dark corner close to the door.
Stepping into the shadows behind a large plant, Sophie took out a handgun from her purse along with a silencer, and fitted them together with precision. Crouching low, she aimed for the point where the chandelier was attached to the ceiling and fired.
Seconds later she also shot the middle-aged, balding man and the deed was done.
The timing was perfect: the chandelier smashed onto the ground, people screamed and panicked. In the confusion Sophie walked straight out the door and into her black Porsche Boxster, fleeing immediately from the scene. It would take a few seconds for people to realise what had happened. All she could think about on the way home was, “Well, that was an easy £400 000.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!