The Art Of Staying Sane

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

I slowly steady myself as I climb up the rope to the tree house. I peak over the rotten wooden ledge and there is my son, playing in his fantasy against the cascading moonlight.
“Mate, it’s time to go to sleep,” I say.
“No, no I want to play with my monsters. Look, see?”
He extends his arm and confronts me with his ripped teddy bear. I never really understood his version of fantasy. I wish I could share his mind. It would certainly be better than having a conscience – incinerating with fear. I stay sane… because of him
He plays and jumps in time with his tiny dinosaurs, making me rock in sync with the wise oak tree. I wish I had the adrenaline to play – not to be scared. The peak of his head swings around with the plane mobile, making a silhouette against my aging face.
“Come on, it’s getting late.” I warn him, but he keeps on immersing himself in his innocence.
I cock my head over and stay there, mindless of time. I can’t help myself but visualise my little boy being engulfed by the world’s monstrous, bulging hands – taking him out of mine. The sheer possibility of my mistakes being the reason I suffer in screaming silence sends my sorrow echoing infinitely times louder.
My son’s laughter makes me realise my reality and so I bring it back into focus and look at my son, my sun. Us intertwining our spirits, this is the spice of life.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!