Warrior


Chapter One

I walk up the stairs to the small sitting area where it is packed with parents and their teenage children. I take on step up the stairs at a time as my parents walk right on my tail. I hear the deep voice of a male teacher booming through the speakers, saying something about "the change of environment and weather throughout our hiking expedition."
As I go take my seat near the back, I search for the faces of my friends hidden amongst the other parents and students.
My eyes observe every details of the room almost immediately. The faded white colour of all the walls; how the windows are placed in an intentional position to view the urban area outside of the school.
The projector screen placed behind the male teacher, Mr Gibbs, whose voice I heard earlier before, plays a slideshow of steep, rocky mountains and deep valleys.
While I am still looking around, I notice that on the other side of the room is my friend Ellie. Her dark, thick hair sits along her back like streamers as she is seated comfortably with her parents on either side of her. I notice that she is wearing a blue jumper with an odd colour of hiking shorts. Her hiking boots are nestled between her feet leaving them covered in a thick pair of black socks.
Her round eyes are fixated on the back of someone's head in front of her. By his hazel-brown hair, I figure that it is carter Brian. Ellie has had a crush on him ever since he came to Hillton Clay High school three years ago. That was about the time when Ellie and I became good friends. At the beginnings we were inseparable - always lifting up the other if one fell down, never leaving each other's side. Three years later, everything changed. We talked to each other and sometime hang around but it's never as it used to be.
I sigh and divert my eyes to Mr Gibbs. I see that he is looking straight at me and had the look in his brown eyes as if what he was talking about concerns me in some way other than the learning part of this journey.
He looked away and continued his speech.
"Part of this journey is for you to find out who you really are. We have had students in the past that have admitted that the journey they had embarked had changed them not only physically, but mentally. It has changed their perspective on many of their daily activities."
Suddenly, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and the goose bumps along my arms were beginning to become visible. I sneaked a glance at my parents and they didn't seem to be bothered by the unusual chill. This chill was something I started to feel only a few weeks ago. I feel like I'm the only one who could actually feel this chill because everyone I have asked thinks that I am crazy. First it happened only a few times a week but now it happens almost every day. It is summer but the temperature isn't over twenty-one degrees on a morning like this so there is no doubt that the air conditioner is not on.
The room feel quiet as Mr Gibbs finished his speech and announced that it was time for us to leave.
I stayed in my seat for a few seconds longer before I saw all the other students with their parents file out of the upper centre and into the downstairs area.
Most of the time I wonder how they do it. How they keep a happy, stable relationship with their parents every day. For example, Angelina Lorne's parents give her all the attention she needs. I've heard that she gets to go to America every half year as a treat. A treat? What is she, a dog? My parents don't even let me go to a concert because they think I'm too immature to do things by myself. Well, here's a fact Mum and Dad: I'm 15 years old, I can take care of myself now.
As my mind lingers on that thought, I realise that someone is watching me. When I say someone, I mean Mum and Dad. Their cold stare is fixed on me as I wait for some big lecture to come out of their even bigger mouths.
"Good luck," Mum says as she stands up to leave. Dad stands up too and when I look at him regret and pity filled his eyes with emotion. Then they left.
That's all? That's all I get from the people whom I share my blood with? I expected something along the lines of "Hope you do your best" or "Make sure you eat your food on time" but what can I really expect? They didn't give me the best upbringing a parent could.

- - -

Two hours into the bus ride to Castlemaine was a loud one. The music on my iPod blasts through my earphones as I block the rest of the world out. For now. I change the song on my iPod to Wherever You Are by 5 Seconds of Summer. I crank up the volume, close my eyes and focus on the lyrics. For a while we pretended, that we never had to end it, but we knew we'd have to say goodbye.
I open my eyes again and take a glimpse outside the window. I see nothing but isolated land; not even a glimpse of civilisation in sight. Then I realise of course the school would take us to places like this - so isolated and secluded - only to give us time to find ourselves.
What is that even supposed to mean? According to my parents I'm too immature for anything so I don't know how finding who I am will do me any good when I can't really do anything else. I'll probably end up working at McDonalds when I grow up. Such positive attitude, Alicia.
As I focus on what is going on outside, I notice that the rain clouds are rolling in and covering the sky above. A cackle of thunder warns us that a storm is on its way.
All of a sudden the bus starts to shake in a terrible manner. It is as if the ground beneath us is opening up and getting ready to swallow us.
Girls scream, boys shout, teacher look terrified and then there is me: gripping the edges of my seat so tightly that my fingers begin to look pale.
A few seconds later, the rumbling and shaking stops and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.
Mr Gibbs, who coincidently is our bus driver, hops out of the bus in an irritated manner to see what caused the quake. I looked outside the window to see him circling around the bus.
Two pairs of footsteps from the aisle on the bus come to the front in a swift, though rushed, manner. As the pairs of footsteps pass me, I peek my head out and see two rather unfamiliar boys heading to the door. One had jet black hair with streaks of green passing through this fringe. He wears a red plaid shirt and jeans. The other one had dark brown hair spiked and was wearing a Rolling Stones tank shirt with a horrible coloured pair of shorts. A necklace of a guitar pick was hanging around his neck and a few wristbands tightened around his wrists.
The one with black hair goes over to the driver's seat and slams a button. He pushes in front of the other guy and jumps out of the bus. Just before jumping out of the bus, the one with the dark brown hair took a glimpse at me, his hazel eyes piercing into me skin, and then jumped out.
For a second he looked so familiar as I recall all my memories, trying to recognise him.

- - -

My eyes widen as I have a sudden flash back. I see pictures of two kids, a girl and a boy around the age of eight or nine. The girl has black hair that touched her shoulders, her eyes as green as the unknown forest before her. The boy, on the other hand, had dark brown, tousled hair. His eyes were a hazel brown filled with curiosity at what lay ahead. Their hands were locked around each other's holding on for dear life. I noticed that the young boy had a faint scar on his right hand and wondered where it came from.
I could see the fear in the girls eyes as the wind blew furiously into the night. Deadly creatures lurked in the forest at this time of night. I wanted to tell them to get out of there and go back home to their parents. I shouted out to them from a distance but they just stood there.
I ran up to the girl to grab her arm and pull her away but my hand went right through her. That was when I realised that they couldn't hear me nor see me. This was nothing but a mere dream.
I glanced at the boy and saw his wide eyes looking right through me as if he was staring deep into my soul. The boy and the girl took a step forward and that's when everything vanished and I jolted awake.
I was still back in the bus with my earphones on, music blasting through my ears. I look around the bus and everyone seem to be focused on what had happened to our only transport to the mountain. I recall the dream I just had and something about it made it feel more than a dream. It felt as real as ever.
My mind whirled around in confusion as I settle back in my seat and let my mind cool for a bit.

Chapter Two

We were back on the road after the unexplainable incident that happened with the bus. Everyone came to the conclusion that it must have been an aftershock from some earthquake. For the rest of the ride to camp no one uttered a word about the incident.
The bus came to an abrupt stop as Mr Gibbs announced that we had arrived. I hop out of the bus and go to retrieve my backpack from the trailer.
As I heave my large backpack over my shoulders, I take a look at my surroundings. The mountains were bone white with bits of green vegetation peaking here and there. The peaks of the mountains are like harpoon tips, shrouded in the grey mist. The trees all bunched together in a north-westerly direction gives the atmosphere a fresh, natural essence as the wind passes by. The valleys across the mountains shows beauty in its natural scenery with a few brumbies placed here and there.
It was time to get into our groups and go our separate ways. My group leader, coincidentally, is Mr Gibbs and I just happen to have those two guys from the bus in my group too. Great!
With my backpack hunched up on my shoulders, I put my long black hair in a high pony tail and walk towards my group as we formed a circled which I was informed is called a monkey circle. I look around the circle and there are a total of eight people in this group, including me.
A girl with red straight hair and bangs that covers her eyebrows stands beside me, her backpack standing near her feet. She has olive-white skin and has fingerless black gloves on her hands. She tugs on her grey jumper nervously as she waits for any further instructions.
Next to her is a European boy named Bill Clinton. I remember him playing the school soccer team last year and after breaking his ankle, he never played again. He has dark brown hair sitting on top of his head like a bird's nest. His large eyes are brown and he covers his skin in an oversized waterproof jacket.
There were two others in my group - a boy and a girl. They're simply minor characters in this story. Once I've come to recognition with everyone, I patiently wait for further instructions with my hands placed on the belt of my pack.
Not too long later we are each given a map and compass. While I study my map, I see from the corner of my eye Mr Gibbs giving someone a walkie-talkie. and then he walked off. Just like that! No instructions, nothing. Then I thought that being by ourselves in the middle of nowhere is the teacher's way of "finding out who we are."

- - -

A few hours into the hike we come across a slow-moving stream with no way around it except to jump over it. As I study the stream I realise that to reach the other side would be a three metre jump from where I stand. That means we would have to jump with our backpacks on.
I stand back as everyone jumps over the still water and before I know it I am the only one left to jump. I look over my shoulder and see nothing but thick tree trunks, its braches pointing in many directions and its top peaking up high into the sky. It reminds me of the time when I was eleven years old and my parents took me bushwalking. Didn't turn out too well.
I look over to the stream with fierceness, push the hair out of my eyes, do a run up and jump. Before I know it my feet land on the ground and I can't help but reveal a small grin.
When I look up I realise everyone's already gone and that I'm left here by myself. I look around, ahead, behind and see no one in sight. Immediately my grin turns into a worried frown as I take my map out and figure out where I am. I bring my compass to the map and find the grid reference to where I assume I am.
I try to find the closest bearing but then I realise that it must be impossible to find an exact bearing because as I look around I see many large granite rocks which means there must be some traces of magnetic anomaly.
Mixtures of fear, panic, timidness and anxiousness all whirl around in my head. I don't know what to feel anymore. Whether this is all just a joke or they actually just left.
I can't do anything but wait so I find a nearby tree and take a seat there.


Before I know it it's already nightfall and hours have passed. My torch is on the ground and I have managed to make a small campfire. Unfortunately I don't have a tent with me and all I've got is the cooker. This mean I have no choice but to sleep in my sleeping bag outside. Luckily, the weather is not too bad but I still wear a beanie just in case.
I just hope someone finds me and fast.



Chapter Three

I wake up to a rustling sound and jump out of my sleeping bag too quickly that it made my head dizzy. By instinct I got a tree branch, of which I sharpened the top of it last night to make it look like a spear, and head towards the sound.
Each step I took towards the sound was another step to the anonymous object. It could be a wolf or a coyote or even someone I don't know.
Someone taps my left shoulder ever so lightly and I turn around a let out a little yelp when I see the guy with the brown hair back from the bus. My face muscles start to relax as I slowly lower my spear.
"What are you doing here?" he says in a spiteful manner.
"I.. uh.. I got left behind and everyone went ahead so I had no other option but to stay here," I say despising his smart attitude.
"Did anyone come here when you were left behind?"
"No," I reply wondering what is up with his questions.
He folds his arms and looks down at me. "So you really don't remember, do you?"
Confused I ask him, "What do you mean?"
He sighs and walks over to my sleeping bag. "Sit down it's a long story."
Still confused I go over to my sleeping bag and sit down. I have no idea what to expect but I have this weird feeling in my stomach. Before he could say anything else I ask him a question. "Who are you?"
He glares at me and says, "I'm Calum," he folds and unfolds his hand as he continues. "You'll remember."
I open my mouth read to say something but he cut me off before a sound could come out of my mouth.
"So, let me tell you a story. A story of a princess. Back in the mythological days there were different kingdoms; kingdoms of light, fairies, mystical creatures and nature. All the other princesses in the other kingdoms dressed up like princesses and acted like princesses. This particular princess was different. She was a warrior. She was her kingdom's bravest, most fierce warrior. She was the princess of nature. This princess had the ability to control the nature around her; how green the grass will be; at what time the flowers will bloom. She made it all. Then one day an enemy of the kingdom came to destroy everything once and for all. He made a fight with the princess, challenged her in a to-the-death match. He wanted her gone! She was only eighteen. They could do nothing to save her. After she lost, everything went dull. The leaves fell from the trees constantly, the grass was never green, the cliff faces always fell off, the mountains had no control over the amount of avalanches and most importantly, her kingdom fell apart. Without her, nothing was ever the same again."
I look at him as if he was a crazy man. "Why are you telling me this?"
He looks at me with sympathy filling his eyes and says, "Her name was Alicia Hartwood."
I look at him in shock and start to laugh. "Why would you make up a story about me?"
"You don't believe me?" His eyes widened and he looks at me with surprise. "I'll prove it to you."
Still laughing, I thought, This couldn't get any better.
"Alicia," he says. "I introduce you to Andrew Henderson."
I gaze to where he is looking at and see someone come out from behind the old, withered trees. A man with brown - almost grey - hair stands before me. His face is covered with wrinkles and he looks around 175cm. He wears a fine suit with polished black shoes and his hair combed back making him look years younger. I stand up and I focus on who he is and I have to stifle a laugh.
"Mr Gibbs, what are you doing here?" I ask confused.
He stares at me blankly and I have to hide my smile because no way could this be more entertaining.
"It's Andrew, actually," Mr Gibbs says in his posh voice. This time I can't help but laugh. I think they both have done a great job at showing me their rehearsed play in the middle of nowhere.
Calum glares at me. "You think this is funny?" he asks in a harsh tone.
"Well of course," I reply. "It's Mr Gibbs. Dressed in a suit. What could be more funny?" I look at him to find him glaring at me.
"Andrew," correcting me. "This is very serious Alicia. You have to believe every word I say. I am not Mr Gibbs. My name is Andrew Henderson and I come from the Kingdom of Nature. This is no play and games. You need to know who you really are."
Silence fills the air for a few minutes. I look from Mr Gibbs - Andrew - to Calum and back to Mr Gibbs. I don't know what to do. Laugh at their unrealistic story or stand in shock knowing that Mr Gibbs is wearing a suit.
"I think it's time we tell her," says Calum, breaking the silence.
"No, no. I don't think she's ready. She has to know more about.. us," Mr Gibbs says.
"She deserves to know. If she doesn't something bad is going to happen again," argues Calum.
"Okay, but you're the one that has to tell her and if she doesn't believe you we take her to Queen Eileen."
Even more confused I say, "Hello, I'm right here. You don't have talk about me thinking I'm invisible when I'm right in front of you. Who's Eileen and what are you talking about when you mean us?"
Calum looks at me with his big hazel eyes as he steps towards me. Every step he takes forward I take two steps back. Finally he stops right in front of me and says to me in a low voice, "You have to understand what I am saying. You do not know what is at cost if you don't understand. It is very important you know what I'm talking about because if you don't everything will go into chaos."
"O-o-okay," I stutter, a little afraid of him.
"You are the princess in the story."
"Yeah, you already said that," I say, stating the obvious.
He looks around and then meets his eyes with me. "You have to come to the Kingdom of Nature and restore your throne."
I just glare at him sending him a silent message: I'm not buying this.
"Umm.. okay. Go to a kingdom. Restore my throne. Just like you say. But how do I know if there really is a kingdom out there other than this place called Earth," I spread my arms out wide and gesture to what is around us. "And how do I know if you and Andrew are telling the truth? I don't even know who you are."
"You don't believe me?" says Calum, his eyes wide in shock. I shake my head.
"Well, I hope this makes you believe and remember," he touches my shoulder with one hand and my forehead with the other and whispers some foreign words - most likely Latin. Recordabitur enim omnium, qui oblitus est.
Almost immediately my eyes close and I drop to the ground.






Chapter Four

I open my eyes and touch my dizzy head. I look around and see that I lie on thick concrete and stone of what looks like part of a castle. I slowly get up and hear the sound of two swords slashing against each other. I look towards the sound and see two girls, one the age of around eighteen and the other just slightly older. I study the movements of the older one. She had thick brown hair that fell back on her hair with every movement like streamers. Her facial features looked so fierce and evil. She wears knee length boots that goes over her leather pants. A jacket was worn on top of her shirt which looked too expensive to buy nowadays.
The other girl had long, silky black hair that also flowed across her back. She wore a thin dress and a brown, leather vest on top of that. Small brown boots were settled on her feet as she makes wise tactics gracefully. I looked at her facial features and she looked so small and puny. Her almond eyes were an unusual shade of green, her eyebrows creased in concentration and her full red lips formed a small thin line.
I stared at her in horror when I realised that that girl looked exactly like me. It was like looking into a mirror. I took small steps towards both of the girls and saw the furious looks on their faces. Then I realised this wasn't just a normal fight, it was a to-the-death fight.
I took in the surroundings and saw many mountains around the castle. Some peaking so high they disappeared into the clouds, others lying low. It seemed like a green and blissful place to live in.
Suddenly, I heard metal go in and out of flesh in swift actions. I turned my head around and saw that the older girl had pushed her sword into my stomach and took the blade out instantly. The younger girl slid to the ground and lied there in her pool of blood. The other girl looked down at her and a huge grin spread wide along her face. She muttered some words of which I did not understand and then ran away from the victim.
I rushed over to me and saw her lying there still in her blood Her green eyes stay wide and I stumbled my words as I figured out how to try and help her. When I tried to get hold of her I saw my hands right through her.
I then realised that this was nothing but another flashback, like the one I had before of the young girl and boy back in the bus.
"N-no, no, no. This can't be happening," I say shaking my head. Tears streamed down my eyes as I sat there helplessly on the cold hard ground.



I jolt awake and touch my numb and dizzy head as I try to focus on everything around me. Mr Gibbs and Calum stand in front of me, worried looks on their faces. My cheeks are covered in dried up tears from the flashback as I recall what just happened.
Mr Gibbs and Calum look at me and I say, almost whisper, to Calum, "What did you say that made me have that vision?"
Calum looks at his feet and then he says, "Recordabitur enim omnium, qui oblitus est. Remember all that was forgotten."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!