A Catastrophic Morning

I woke on Saturday morning, drenched in my own sweat. I’d just had the strangest dream, a nightmare really. I reluctantly hauled myself out of bed then sleepily reached for my hairbrush which wasn’t there! I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and tried to remember the nightmare I had… but there was a possibility I was still having it! I looked around and found that I was at the foot of a volcano! That would be the logical reason of why I was sweating. The sky was a bright red mixed with vibrant pinks yellows and oranges, it was rather pretty! The rising sun shone into my eyes and I tried to make a shield with my hands covering my eyes. I whipped my head in all directions, something seemed very peculiar about the setting, aside from a volcano and the fact that her bed was sitting outside - in some other city! People were running around frantically. About a dozen people were gawping at me in disgust and confusion, but I must have looked the same towards them because I too was gazing at them curiously. The people wore funny clothes, the women and even girls wore what looked like a bonnet, long socks and long frilly gowns while the men and boys wore a garment so strange that it was describable! A little girl said something and then started laughing mockingly at me, but it was in a foreign language! I had a strong feeling that it was Italian. The volcano started making strange noises and then started spewing out its red hot flowing lava! I very quickly became one of the frantic people. I noticed shops which all said Pompeii on them. There was 'Pompeii seamstresses' and 'Pompeii food'.

I woke up abruptly, breathing heavily. I just remembered that a school assignment on Pompeii was due tomorrow, and I had no idea what to write about! But then I started tracing back last night's nightmarish dream. I knew what to do for my assignment!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!