Being Bullied By People Is Not The End Of The World

Finalist in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

“You are fat, and ugly! Nobody likes you! Go away! Nobody wants to play with you! You smell!"
They were the hurtful words that were spat in Maddi’s face each day as she stepped into the gates of her schoolyard.
Maddi used to mind her own business and tried to make herself invisible on her walk to the classroom. To her dismay, they would somehow catch sight of her then her day would always start with hurtful words and teasing.
Maddi’s heart sank to a deep, dark, place that only she experienced. Maddi wanted to cry, but by now, she was used to the hurt and pain and learned how to hide it.
Maddi never fought back. She was a very kind, sweet person who would never hurt anyone.
Maddi was facing her own crisis at home because her parents were selling their family home and decided that they did not love each other anymore. Her mum had no choice but to live with Maddi and her 2 sisters in a tiny home with her grandparents. On top of all of that she now had to share a bed with her sister. Maddi was finding it tough to adjust to a new way of living. She was dying inside.
One night Maddi sat in her room crying so much that her face was red and puffy.
The whole world was getting ready to go to bed when Maddi sadly stared out of her bedroom window at the dark, mysterious night.
Through the darkness, bright, bold, beams of light illuminated and embellished the midnight sky. They spoke to her kindly and she felt their energy trying to convince her to take a peaceful, private walk near the ocean.
The dark blue ocean danced closer to her spraying itself onto her electric blue tracksuit. She felt invigorated by the sudden roar of the mammoth wave as it crashed on top of her. Maddi squealed with delight.
She took a deep breath in and her lungs absorbed the fishy, salty fumes of the ocean. It seemed like the darkness wanted to play with her and steal her thoughts away from any sleepiness. Maddi felt as wet as a soggy sponge.
The wet path helped to navigate her away from the action of the crashing waves. With every sloppy step she took in her wet shoes on the solid concrete, she felt very uncomfortable. On her way home she felt blissfully elated while she reflected on her adventurous midnight experience with the darkness.
Maddi realised that when people don’t understand you or care for you, there are always parts of the natural environment that can be friend to you in ways that humans can’t. She learned that elements like the crashing waves want to dance with you and play with you if only you open your heart and listen to them.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!