The Girl Who Notices Everything

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

As I meander down the cracked, weathered concrete path, I notice the insignificant and often overlooked, minty green weeds that thrive there. I look up to find an aging maple tree, its silhouette distinct against the emerald green grass below it that glistens as though it were made up of millions of miniscule diamonds. In the mossy tree I notice three taciturn flame robins perched among the branches of the magnificent tree. Their cinnamon coloured chests highlighting the beauty of the trees leaves that fall gracefully to the dew covered ground. Some the colour of rust and brass, others scarlet, crimson and vermilion. As I continue my walk, I see a statuesque young woman bend over and pick something up. At first I don’t see what it is until I notice her hand it to a decrepit old man sitting in the sun’s buttery warm rays. A powdery, yellow billy button. I look up and notice that the clouds now resemble the likes of a dappled, dove-grey horse that dances across the sky. If there’s one thing you haven’t yet noticed about me, it’s that I notice everything. Sitting on one of many neglected park benches, I attract much attention. I like to think it’s because they are jealous of me. Of my eyes. I have peculiar eyes, one a nutty, caramel bronze and the other green. Not a confronting or threatening green but a more gentle and understanding green, like money. My hair is also an odd but surprisingly stunning warm apricot colour. I stand and begin to wander off the path and wind my way past the trees and let my imagination roam free. There are few things I enjoy. Two infact. Walking and observing. I often consider finding a hobby or assigning my self a task to complete. But I never do. I succumb to fatigue and rest under the dark mahogany braches of a forest oak. Lying amongst the billy buttons and the burnt orange leaves of the nearby maples, I notice something. Glistening in the sun, I see a necklace of golden amber. I sit up to reach for the necklace but I am too slow. A handsome kingfisher beats me to it. It’s iridescent wings hover above me for a few moments, its glassy eyes wide and observant like mine, before it disappears with the necklace. I scramble to my feet and attempt to chase the creature. I run after it giggling and falling in the dandelions like a child, before I hit a tree. Dazed, I lay sprawled amongst the wild flowers. Their tiny pastel petals become tangled in my shimmering orange hair. I look up and notice something very odd. My initials “DH” are carved into the sturdy trunk of a moss covered tree, along with another set of initials I don’t recognize, encompassed in a love heart. Smiling, I jump to my feet and skip back down the cracked concrete path. My name is Dakota Hues and I have a mission.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!