Uluru: Not Just A Rock

In the heart of our sandy, desert bush-land, stands a towering monolith, peacefully watching over her native land. She moans in tranquility and isolation, waiting for company and life. The tall, dusty rock welcomes the new day and rises above the sand dunes like the sun. Uluru smiles and greets her friends with elation to her hometown of Yulara.

She spreads herself out 4kms long and 2kms wide, and rises 863m above sea level. A dusty red lining, so she is protected by the resentful, desert sun, coats her grey heart. Uluru is the protector of the land, strong and vigilant. From the travelling flock of free birds view, Uluru is a giant pillow. She is the guardian, keeper of many sacred stories, memories and unheard secrets.

As the day goes on, the mighty Uluru changes colour dramatically. From a cool blue in the very early morning, to a violet at dawn, gradually changing to a coffee colour at noon. She bronzes and then turns a vivid crimson. She is most magnificent at sunset, where she glows a vibrant red, giving the tourist a final goodbye before being coated in a blanket of darkness and hiding behind the sand dunes. Uluru’s coating doesn’t actually change colour, the suns position in the sky and the temperature determines what colour the coating appears to be. If you ran your finger on the rock, the dust on your finger would be the same colour no matter what time it is.

The sun lights up the glorious monolith as Uluru beams with delight. At times like this, she gets to show off her marvellous red body. Amazed tourists gaze and gasp as they uncover hidden nooks and crannies. She has many things to discover, such as meaningful aboriginal cave paintings and dreamtime stories hidden within. On sunny days, people are able to climb Uluru, but what many people don’t realize is she’s alive. Aborigines disapprove of climbing and would like it if people respected the sacred rock.

As the sand wears away from the base by the pounding rain, Uluru stands like a monument of stone, unharmed by the battering bush-storm. She turns a dark grey, the rain washes away her coating, revealing riddling enigmas. When the clouds pass and the skylights come on, Uluru unveils many magnificent waterfalls streaming from the top of her. She presents her friends with streams and billabongs, glad that the angry storm is through.

Uluru isn’t just a giant rock, she is an amazing feature of this world, made not only to be marvelled at, but to hold many astonishing and heart touching secrets. The true person can only really understand the qualities of Uluru until they see her in person.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!