Take Me To The River

I hold her. In my arms. She is fast asleep. Like a little baby in her cot. I am walking slowly, to the river. Through the forest. I look up in to the trees, the sunlight big and beautiful. I just keep walking and walking and walking. Like time stops and it never goes fast again.

I feel an emptiness inside that doesn't want to be filled. I start crying again. Why do I cry? I am not sure but if feels good to let it out. I feel tired and thoughts keep coming through. I hear a bird chirping suddenly to the distance. It reassures me that I am safe for now.

I still remember the weekends. The Saturday mornings we used to come here with mum and dad and play near the river. She loved the river. She said it was her favourite place in the world. She wasn't happy unless she went to the river that week. I always used to take her when mom and dad couldn't. Until the whole incident happened. That was the worst day of my life when the infection spread across the world.

As a person we always concentrate on the negatives in life but I have a motto ‘always smile in the darkest light’, but for the life of me I can’t smile. But I think of the positives, I am going to river one last time.

You know it all started when I was at school. An infected ran to a teacher and started eating him, everyone started screaming and running and I was just looking for her. I ran to the playground grabbed her and we ran home. I found my mum and dad dead on the floor. He probably came home when he found out the infection had spread. They were slashed to ribbons.

I still cry just thinking about it. She screamed when she found them. She cried and I started crying and we hugged them.

That day I told her we have to move them out of the house and make the house safe from the infected well I said monsters instead but the government calls them infected. We barricaded the house with furniture. We lived on the food we had in the in the house for two weeks.

She said she didn't won't to go but I told her that we had to, she was scared. That was the worst mistake I ever made. She got shot by a scavenger. I remember screaming, than the scavenger looked at what he did and he ran away. I held her in my arms crying. I didn't know what to do and didn't know where to go.

Now I am at the river. The streams of water comfort me. I lay her body down in the water and she floats away. Like A feather.

“Goodbye… Lydia…”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!