Wings

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

As I walked around the whirlpools, little crabs decided to cling onto my leg. Despite my efforts to try and shake them off, I then had to gently pluck off the remaining stubborn ones as they started to dig deeper into my skin. The sand shifted between my toes, piling itself on top of my bare feet. It stung a little, due to the warm sun that had released itself from the grasp of grey clouds. I rested on the shore, letting the upcoming sprays rush towards me. The sound of the revolving waves echoed in my ears. I shot a small glance at an ivory seashell, and being the curious girl I was, I did what any other person would have done. Picking it up, I pressed it against my ears. It was cold and rigid, but at the same time, the only thing that was put into thought was the luxurious sound it gave. It was as if I was in the icy blue sea itself. I placed it down just to find that to my surprise, it had started crawling away. I caught a glimpse of a little crab, frantically trying to get out. I took the shell off its back, revealing an escape plan for the tiny crustacean. I smiled as I looked away. I rolled up my dress and headed towards the water. The sea was calm and peaceful as I lightly pushed myself through the water. My feet dug into the clusters of gritty sand underneath, letting it slowly form into a barrier of particles in my toenails. After a while, I headed back to the edge of the water. I gazed at the setting horizon as I thought about my old memories as a kid. Suddenly, there were constant rounds of static visions. I winced and instantly brought my hand to my ears. The time is here. Even though I struggled to open my eyes, I caught the very last glimpse of the sun. Then my eyes fluttered shut, as everything blinded my senses. I had carried a huge boulder on my shoulders my whole life. I was too scared to drop it, too afraid that it was going to crush everything, everyone. My shoulders drooped lower and lower but I still did not drop it. Until I eventually got the slap of reality. I never realized that life was too short to waste, but as I got more sick and depressed, it was too late to fix everything. I was in no condition to move or talk. But I was strong enough to let my mind sink into the only thing I was thinking about. Hope. I still had hope, family, friends and a chance. Nothing was in my way. At least I thought there wasn't. There were still enemies, betrayal and evil. Then again, there is only one thing no-one could take away from anyone. The wings of encouragement.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!