I May Not Remember • But I Feel

My eyes jolt open as I frantically look at my surroundings. My legs swing in the air as the seat belt wraps too tightly around my waist, making it hard to breath. Blood trickles down my leg, I spot a sharp object pierced through my thigh. Glass blankets the floor as it glistens in the sunlight. I feel a warm sensation in my right hand. I stare blankly at my hand as I find it wrapped in someone else's. My eyes instantly shoot to the person sitting next to me. He's half fallen from the drivers seat. I stare at him from head to toe. One of his legs catch my eye as it bent into an odd direction. His eyes are closed, whilst his face is stained by blood. I suddenly feel a wet substance drip down my face. My eyes keep on fluttering closed, as I try to stay awake. But I am to weak and I suddenly drift away.

I feel someone violently shaking me, as my eyes flutter awake. I hear a distant voice as I try to concentrate. Shauna. Shauna? The voice is coming more distinct. I see a blurry figure. " Shauna! Oh my goodness, Shauna." I stare confused at the elderly woman that stands before me. My eyebrows draw together as I try even harder to concentrate. My vision clears. I examine the room before my eyes drift back to the woman. Tears stain the her cheeks. Her eyes are puffy and rimmed red. She suddenly sprints out of the room, shouting words I can't make out. I try to sit up. I find myself groaning from the excruciating pain in my left leg. My head thumps. I cradle my head in my hands, but it only make it worse.

In a split second, people pile into the room. They're all wearing brith, white coats, with clipboards tucked under their arm." Hello?" I stare at the man, waving a small torch over my eyes. I blink irritably as the light blinds me . " Shauna, can you hear me?" I open my mouth, but stop as if I've forgotten how to speak. I want to know desperately who Shauna is. I try again. " Who's, sh.. Shauna?" I frown crosses everybody's face. I cock an eyebrow at the people in white. He turns to the elderly woman and speaks. " It has appeared the damage to her head was worse then we thought. Shauna has lost her memory." The woman wails as she falls into the mans arms. I want to speak again.

" Wh.. Who was the person holding my hand?" The woman's cries become louder. Another man dressed in white comes close to me. Picking up my wrist and wrapping a blue band thingy over it.

" I'm just going to check your blood pressure, don't be alarmed." I nod shakily turning back to the other man. He pulls a chair to the side of the bed and leans in close holding my hand. His voice is soft, gentle.

" That man was your." He stops taking a deep breath. " He was your brother, Sean." Another cry comes from the woman from the mention of his name. Shock shows across my face. I don't remember him. But I feel for him.

" Am.. Am I Shauna? Was I in an accident?" The man nods his head slowly. I look down at my hands and play with the end of the blanket.

" You were in a car accident on your way to work." I look up. The woman now sits next to me on the chair. She continues. " You didn't have your licence yet, so Sean had to take you to work everyday." Tears fill her yes. " I.. I had work myself, so I couldn't drop you off. If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm your mother. Michelle." She lets out a couple of sniffs and covers her mouth with her hand.

" Where's Sean? Is he okay?" She makes eye contact. She shakes her head.

" I'm sorry, Shauna." Sean. Tears feel my eyes and roll down my cheek. I may not remember, but I feel.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!