Wake Me Up

I remember that loud noise that only lasted for a fraction of a second. I remember the tyres screeching to a halt. I remember the insanely tight grip of my mother’s arms around my small body. That’s all I could remember of the crash. That was a long time ago though. I was only seven.
I was walking down the corridor of my school, clutching onto my books as I made my way to class. It was oddly quiet, perhaps I was late. My hand wrapped around the door knob of the classroom door before I felt a prick in my left arm. It was like a needle, causing me to flinch. That pain happened twice a day. It never bothered me though.
Once I swung the door open, a storm of confusion hit me. The classroom was empty. I was certain that my class was here. The odd silence was broken by a sob. It was quiet but I felt as though it was vibrating through my bones, as though it was right beside me. I spun around frantically to try and see where it was coming from, but I saw nothing.
A voice spoke up: “Oh, please wake up.”
I walked to another classroom and opened the door. Empty. “Who’s there?” I called out.
The situation was getting too creepy. I ran around, opening every classroom in an attempt to find any sign of civilisation, and found absolutely no one.
It was when I reached the end of the corridor that I saw a red door, begging for me to open it. As I walked towards it, the sound of sobbing grew louder. The world was growing darker as I stepped closer to the door. The doorknob glowed brightly. I turned the doorknob and pushed the door open.
My eyes opened to the blurry sight of a bright ceiling light. I turned my head slightly to see a person hunched over beside the bed I lay on, her back rising and falling in an uneven pace. She was crying and slowly lifted her head. Mum?
Before I could say anything, her crying grew louder and she blabbered on about how I was in a coma for, ‘such a long time’--which was ridiculous because I was at school just a minute ago.
I looked around the room. I was in a hospital, I stared at the needles that were taped against my left arm. The sudden pricking pain I felt twice a day. I looked at my mum, and her swollen eyes stared back at me as she smiled widely. The sobs and the voice asking me to wake up.
It’s been a few years since that incident. I still feel the pricking of the needles, the doctor said it was nothing so I chose to ignore it.
I was lying in my bed today when I thought I heard my mum cry. I headed out my room and froze as I stared down the hall in horror.
A red door.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!