White Lab Coats

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

Pain.
I grip the bars of my cage so tightly that my tiny hands have angry red stripes across them. The sign taped to the inside of my cage reads, CAPUCHIN MONKEY.
More pain.
The man walking towards me is wearing a white lab coat, something I have come to fear during my days here. He is taking slow, weighted steps, each stride echoing around the room. But what scares me the most is the cruel grin on his face, and the pointed vial cradled in his hands. A syringe.
Too much pain.
I flee to the corner of my cage and huddle there in a futile attempt at camouflage. Of course, it does not work. The lab coat man lifts me out of the cage with rough hands, holding me tightly. And he stabs me with the syringe.
Pain, and suffering.
Instantly, my blood begins to boil as the strange substance enters my body. It feels like fire, fire racing along my veins and burning everything it touches to a crisp, like a wild stallion. My tiny body, burning with pain, begins to quiver and shake violently as convulsions seize me. My mouth is frothing, and nobody can hear my pitiful wails of pain. My vision goes black as I pass out, unable to take it anymore.
Pain, and suffering. Why?
A small pinprick of pain on my shoulder jolts me awake. Another injection. The pain is still there, but it is ebbing now. The new injection will make me healthy again, at least until the white lab coats do it again. And they will do it again. Every day will be a repeat of this scenario. Every day, a mix of health and pain and fear. And I can’t escape.
Pain, and suffering. Why are you doing this to me?
Panting softly, I curl up and try to sleep. A hand places a small plate of fruit in my cage, but I can’t eat. I am too afraid. What if it gives me pain, like every other thing the white lab coats have given me?
Pain, and suffering. Why are you doing this to me?
WHY CAN’T YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?
I awake at the sound of nearing footsteps, but it is all wrong. These steps are too quick, and I can hear angry shouting and loud noises from all around me.
Pain?
I can see the bearer of the quick footsteps now. But it is not a man in a white lab coat. It is a human woman, wearing a strange blue suit. I sit up curiously.
No more pain?
Quick Footsteps reaches into my cage, and gently lifts me out. I wrap my tail around her hand, anxious. What is going on? She places me into a cage, in the back of a huge, human vehicle. Am I finally getting out of my prison?
There is a new sign on my cage now. It reads,
SAY NO TO ANIMAL DRUG TESTING.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!