Danger In The Woods

Danger in the Woods

The rivers ran down the cliff, sounding echoes all over the mountainside. I watched the macaws fly overhead, squawking loudly. As I sat crouched in the bushes, I looked around for anything to build a fire with but there were no sticks here above the waterfall. I trekked down the slope, taking my time so I did not slip. There were many animals in this forest and many of them I did not want to disturb for they would attack and kill me within one strike. As I made it down the mountain, I caught a glimpse of smoke in the air and the scent was so strong, I could easily find it. I ran as fast as I could as night was closing in. The trees around me turned invisible, matching their surroundings. These trees were called Chameleon Palms. They would change to anything peculiar. This made it extremely hard to run straight because the trees were everywhere and if you were not careful you could easily run into a tree.
I arrived at the site I had spotted from afar and now I could see clearly that it was a campsite. I sneaked around, sniffing and feeling everything from hats to weapons here. Now and again I would here footsteps and snickering in the shrub. The wild dogs in this forest were Viperwolves. They were dangerous on many levels but not as dangerous as the Thanator. The Thanator was VERY dangerous. Both these animals live in the forests of Pandora. I was wary that one of these creatures, if not both, were roaming around me, ready to attack and slaughter me. I put my hand on my bow and crept around to the centre of the campsite, my eyes looking all over the place. Even though I could not see anything, I had a great sense of hearing and smell. The sound of a stick breaking alerted me and I pulled my bow out and placed my arrow in its place. I was ready, ready to strike the attacker.
“Come at me beast!” I yelled as it echoed the forest. Birds flew from their roosting trees, frightened.
All at once I saw a huge head lunge at me! I quickly took aim and fired, hearing a yelp. I opened my eyes slowly and looked around. The fire was still burning a little and I grabbed my torch and lit it. Below me on the ground lay the beast, luckily a viperwolf. I walked away from the sight of death and walked into the open, as the sun revealed sunlight. I heard a call from one of the tribe members. I called back.
“Krakow!”
I saw my brother leap down from the cliff and he put his arm around me. I looked up at him.
“Hello Ramó,” I said.
He looked down at me and laughed.
“Seems like you’ve had a rough night. Let’s take you home.”
And with that we walked off into the forest.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!