Edinburgh In Mind

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

It was familiar yet all the familiarity had been washed away. All that stood was the shell of an essence that had once embodied her childhood imagination, filling her late adolescent memories. This was Ithaca.

She recognised the sharp smell of pollen cutting through the heavy damp that resided even in the seemingly driest of places. The moist sensations of winter clinging to every surface, reluctant to make way for the spring. Whilst visibly the appearance of the historical city remained vivid in her mind, Eleanor was unprepared for the on slaughter memories the brisk wind brought. Ambushing her, as she found herself caught in the hustle of bodies pressing to get off the train and safely onto the platform.

Encumbered by her small suitcase and worn carry on, that collectively worked to drag her down, Eleanor struggled to the far edge of the concrete slab, as London bodies in suits and eager tourist made their way past her. Pressed firmly against the wrought iron fence, painted green, presumably to match the rolling landscape, she managed to reorganise herself, before attempting to naturally fall in step with the last drizzle of passengers. Made up mainly of mums with prams all walking slowly towards the steps that acted as an unofficial opening to the city of Edinburgh.

The train ride had been the final leg making it feel as long as five hours sounds. Tired of reading, her wandering mind had been lulled into a light sleep only to be jolted awake every time the fast moving train screeched into a station. The cramps in her back from the solid plastic seat became apparent every time she’d attempted to raise herself into a presentable position, as new passengers filtered in and out of seats at irregular intervals.

Throughout the whole journey she’d out of habit kept one hand wrapped tightly around the handles of her navy shoulder bag, without its contents Eleanor would simply have been stranded wherever her potential mugger left her. Whilst she carried little cash due to the convenience of ATM’s, her passport and notebook were irreplaceable, holding all the fine details of her travel arrangements. Yet once she arrived they would simply act as catalysts to a thousands memories that would grow more significant in time.

Her Journey hadn’t taken ten years but it had taken what felt like a lifetime. Only now that she had arrived could she comprehend its enormity. The feeling of sheer overwhelming emotion that grasped at her insides as she faced the city that had expelled her years before. Despite it all she found comfort in the gloomy skies that remained just as dull as the day she left, eager to find elsewhere what she know knew could only be found here. She knew better than to be defrauded though. This was where she wanted to be and Kavafis was right it was the beautiful voyage that made returning home more special.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!