What Is This Place

Excellence Award in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

“Watch out!!!” a stick whizzed past my ear alight. The heat was burning my skin and the roaring flames were growing bigger by the minute. “We can’t hold it for much longer we will have to just run!!!” came a voice in the distance. “Go!! Go now!” I ran. So did they. But the fire was faster. It was catching up. We had to run faster but as it came closer the air became hotter and thicker. Then it was like heaven had opened up. I saw a helicopter coming our way. “We’re saved!!” I yelled but there was no reply. The others didn’t run fast enough. The flames had caught them. The helicopter was close now and you could hear it over the roaring flames. Then, to my surprise it landed. It landed only a couple hundred meters from the flames. “The flames will kill you!!” I shouted. But I was too late. It had been taken by the flames. It was too much. Everyone I knew had been killed only minutes before and now my ride home had gone too. The air was too thick and filled with smoke. I could go any further. I fell to the ground. My head pounding at the heat, but something made me sit up. Rainbows. Yes rainbows and the fire was going out too. Within seconds the fire covered plain turned into a rainbow covered forest. The trees were green. Willows. Not gum trees. There was a river. The last time there had been green trees and a flowing river in the outback of Australia was… well I can’t remember but it was too much to then see gnomes. What’s more they were spewing out rainbows. It was too much. I was to… wait a minute. There’s a cold breeze. I wasn’t hot. I stood and walked to the river close by. I walked straight to it. As I touched the water something tightened on my ankle and I was forced into the water. And once the water got to my waist everything went upside down. The fast flowing clear watered river turned to fast flowing thick dark red blood and the willows shrivelled up looking like twisted old ladies. And the gnomes smiled toothy grins showing rows of blood stained shark teeth. They jumped at me. Their teeth dug hard into my skin and I watched as my tummy was torn open and out spilled baby gnomes eating my insides. I could not see the blood because it was just added to the river. Soon I found that the pain was too much and closed my eyes for ever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!