Separated From Reality

Finalist in the 'The Text Generation 2014' competition

I delicately touched the intricately embroidered silk. The pattern was woven so neatly, like it had just been sent from an angel or goddess; not one single thread was out of place. Ever since I was young, I felt connected with the complex and beautiful making of silk. Everybody had a Power, and my Power was hypnosis. It had proved useless so far, but perhaps I could use it one day.
A note plopped onto my head. I gave an aggravated snort. Cyrus, my brother, was probably playing games with me again. Still, driven by inquisitiveness, I opened the note. The message was short, but urgent: FIND THE STOLEN SILK. I stood there, my heart beating uncertainly, but something lured me down into the deep depths of the unknown, ominous basement...
If I was expecting anything, I had not expected what I had seen. A beautiful young girl was bound by tough ropes. I reached out to touch her, but my hand stopped in mid-air. This was a vision, not reality... but why was I seeing this? A hideous woman stood opposite her, lips drawn back in a menacing sneer and eyes glistening sinisterly. The beautiful girl yelped as the hideous woman injected a sharp object into her arm.
“Yes, Power," the woman rasped. "Give me more, Silk..." Silk turned and caught my eye. She was not staring through me but directly at me. She motioned me to come forward, and I hesitantly took a step forward. The hideous woman turned, and I realised that I was in my own vision.
“Who do we have here?" The hideous woman cooed. Her voice was like fingernails scraping on a board. A spark ignited in me and it gave me all my courage and wits. I did not answer; instead I stared directly into the woman’s eyes. They didn’t have any pupils, but I delved deeper. The scene was blurry and ambiguous.
"Who are you?" I asked the woman whom I had hypnotized.
"Magda, sister of Silk," Magda croaked. She seemed to know what question I was going to ask next. She started squirming, but I held her with my surprisingly strong grip. "I wanted Power, I’m the only person without a Power, life is very unfair, and I cast out to steal Silk’s power..." she started wailing and tried to writhe out of my grip again.
"Be happy with who you are." I said coldly. Magda continued wailing and the vision vanished.
“You will always be remembered...” Silk’s voice echoed through my ears. I had never heard her voice before, but it sounded familiar. I was back to reality, and thrilling only begins to describe what happened.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!