Falling Forest

The forest was a blur of green and brown, I chased the deer through the twisted thicket of vegetation, bounding over rocks and fallen trees. My tiger instincts directing my every move. The deer disappeared into a glade encircled by trees, there was no escape for the deer now. As I prowled towards my prey the deer’s legs began to buckle, I pounced with claws sheathed and just like that the deer was dead, a cascade of blood pouring from an open wound. I carried the deer back to my cave, after a long day of hunting I had uncovered some prey. I ate at a rapid rate, tearing the deer apart limb from limb. After an enjoyable meal I looked around my desolate, uninhabited home. Some time ago, this cave had been populated with other Sumatran Tigers like me, but then the Whackers came, they chopped a gargantuan number of trees down in our forest, destroying the flora and fauna. With no food to eat the Sumatran Tigers were on the threshold of extinction. I was the last one left. After watching the moon illuminate the entrance of the cave through the towering canopies I slowly fell asleep.
The next morning I was greeted by sunlight pouring through the open mouth of the cave. I walked out of my cave and stretched out my limbs after a long night’s sleep. A low mist hung over the jungle and dew covered the lavish shrubbery, I was preparing to hunt for more food for the week, that’s when I heard the distinctive roar of a chainsaw. I ran towards the noise, I knew that noise so well, the noise that had wiped out my family and friends. I bounded through the forest towards the deafening sound and there I saw it, thousands of trees crashing to the ground with a thunderous crunch. My flame coloured pelt stood up on my back, I had to do something, I ran towards the Whacker and jumped on him, knocking the chainsaw from his hands, my paws were pressed against his chest, it was rising and falling at an astonishing rate. I roared, a mighty roar that ruffled the shrubbery. “Please! Don’t kill me!” said the man with a panicked tone. I roared again. “I’m sorry, we need trees in the modern world, for paper and oil!” he said to me. I slowly got off him and he stood up, his breath slowly returning to a normal rate. “Never again, I promise! I’ll protect your land and never attack the forest again.” Then he left, he walked away, the undergrowth brushing at his feet. I walked away too, I ran off into the distance to hunt.
I never heard a chainsaw again after that, I never saw the man either. The forest continued to thrive, new vegetation growing every day. The war between humans and tigers had ended and the man kept his word. Forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!