Madeline

On a stormy night I looked out my small window that was trimmed with delicate lace and peered out at the dark sky. I could hear the drums of the sky beating violently and as I saw electric ribbons dance across the sky I noticed a small lady sitting on a bench. I wondered what she was doing sitting there all alone in the rain. I decided that sitting in the dark with icy cold droplets pounding down on your skin can't be healthy. I took pity on her and came outside with an umbrella and a container of left over pie that we had for dinner. As I stepped into the icy cold air I was embraced with wind and hail. It was much worse than expected. I handed her the meal, she was grateful for everything and told me her name was Madeline. She took the umbrella with a steady hand and said that she hadn't a home or a bed to sleep upon. I once again took pity on her and invited her inside my house. She told me I had a lovely home and that she was a lucky sole to have me rescue her from a raging storm. I led her up stairs to my room and sat her down; I then told her I would be back in a moment with a glass of warm milk. She thanked me and adjusted herself to a comfortable position. Once I returned with her drink she told me to sit down next to her.
“I’m afraid that I do not have any money to repay you with, the most I can do is to tell you a story.” I thought it was a strange “gift” if that is what you would call it but I was raised to show respect and courtesy.
After many, many stories it occurred to me that she was filled with the most wonderful of them all. It was so relaxing and her voice was so soothing. Sooner than I had intended I was asleep on the Sofa. I had no idea how I had ended up there but when I had awoken Madeline was at the table with my mother.
“Good morning mother I see you have met Madeline.” I said in a tired voice.
“Yes” she said “do not worry she has informed me what happened.” I told Madeline a hearty good morning and asked her how she was feeling she told me she was fine and thanked mother and I for the tea and supper.
“Thank you all dearly and I am sorry I dropped in unexpectedly, I better be off now though.’’
At that very moment I was in the kitchen cooking myself some oatmeal and pouring my company some more tea. I was just about to protest and I ran into to the room with a big thump but I was too late. I asked my mother if she had seen where she went but she said no.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!