War

War
Meaningless gunfire, flying at innocent men defending their country.
Staining their shirts with a thick red dye, eating at their hearts.
The cries of wounded soldiers, their screams piercing the smoke-filled air.
Tears mixing with sweat and dirt, impossible to distinguish.
Beneath each uniform, each piece of blood-stained material, beats a heart thats soft and warm.
A heart thats scared, afraid of minuscule pieces of rounded metal.
Metal that decides life or death.

You’re running through the gunfire, through the screams and shouts, looking for shelter, for comfort.
You see a metal bullet whizzing towards you.
Its as if it’s in slow motion, painfully slow.
It breaks through the flesh in your leg.
You can see others running past searching for cover as you hit the floor.
But there is no shelter, no escape.
Your mate rushes towards you, picks up your small limp body and carries it on his shoulders.
He’s risking his life for you.
You can see that you’re heading towards the Red Cross tent.
The cross is blurred by the smoke erupting from the guns.
You’re nearly there, so close.
Your going to make it.
Until he stumbles and the world around you erupts in an explosion
Red, Orange, you can see the entire spectrum flash before your eyes
Two more lives taken in this gruesome war
Innocent people dying

Lest We Forget

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!