National Treasure

Alexandria and Paige, two kid detectives who live in the little town near Canberra went to prepare for the once a year ‘Rosebush Folk Festival’. They had a cake stall there and Jimbo the pub man was going to help.

Opposite the stall, an important van was having troubles. “Damn, we’ll never get the painting to parliament in time for the display with the road blocked for the festival” said the driver, Mr. Mcootes to his mate while smashing his fist on the wheel.

Hours later Jimbo didn’t show up to help.
“Something odd is going on around here” said Paige
Suddenly a man wearing a leather jacket walked past.

“Remember him? He was trying to get us on a case of a lost Phone but we refused” said Alexandria who had a great memory.
Just then Monde rushed over and told them that he saw some red sand in a pool of water in the dirt and it wasn’t him who mixed them for artwork. Monde knew all about the bush since he was indigenous to the land. They thanked Monde.

On the night of the festival Jimbo didn’t turn up and that man who was at the park came over.
“Kids, Jimbo told me to tell you he is sick and doesn’t want any visitors and sadly can’t help, sorry” then walked away.

“Hey, I sense a lie, let’s follow him” said Paige
“But what about the cake stall”
“No this is bigger than the Festival, Follow me!”

So the girls closely watched the man who they named ‘MM’ for Mister Mysterious. Alexandria got out her camera in case he did anything suspicious, but he was only watching the line dance and drank punch until he started leaving the Festival and heading for the pub. The kids followed at a safe distance anxious not to get caught. He was going into Jimbo’s office!

Once inside they saw the man walking towards a frame with red paint.

“Ha” yelled MM “I knew you kids were here so take this. Ha!” and he swung a beer bottle at them. The fight was fierce everyone ducked and fought and screamed. As MM was getting away, he told them his master plan to steal the painting. As he was about to run out *BANG* it was Monde, Jimbo and the van driver. Monde knocked MM out!

“I heard you scream so I came and found Jimbo and Mr Mcootes who had lost the painting that was supposed to go to parliament”
“Wow Monde! Thank you for your help kids I’ll have to get on my way to parliament. Here take some cakes.”
Monde just finished scraping the red paint off the picture and now the portrait of Sir Edmund Barton the first prime minister, could be clearly seen.

“Hey thanks a lot” said Mr.Mcootes as he drove away
The two girls went back to the festival with Jimbo and had a blast.
The next day the local paper printed our story.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!