War Diaries

Australian Soldier
Today were are heading off to the beaches of Gallipoli for a surprise attack at 08:00 hours, there is a group of 15 on this boat, all from country towns in the south west of Victoria. I have come to be very good friends with all these lads they are like brothers to me and it kills me to have to see them like this, I have given my best wishes and said my good byes as I may not see the ever again. Every wave we hit is a sign that we are getting closer to the shore and most likely our death. The boat that I am on is in the fourth battalion and the sound of explosions and screams are a bad reminder of the war we are heading to. It’s hard to believe that this time last year I would have been going about my average day with my father doing whatever I can to help around the farm but all that is behind me and I am heading straight into a war. Suddenly the door on the creaky boat slams down, a rush of adrenaline burst into my veins and before I know it I’m knee deep in the water dogging bullets heading for a vantage point a head, my brothers are dropping like flies around me, I’m trying to keep as calm as possible, I see a big crater in the ground made from the big mortars coming from the hills we are invading. I sit for a bit to catch my breath and reload my gun I crouch up for a glimpse at the coward Turks hiding in there barriers, I charge again and head for another crater in the ground but before I can make it a grenade lands beside me, I try my hardest to get away from it, there is a big explosion. BANG shrapnel flies everywhere, im hit in the back of the shoulder with a big piece of steel, im lying on the ground, blood everywhere and then it goes black. I can remember glimpses of what happened but right now im on the back of a man’s shoulder retreating to a Hospital my shoulder in pain I am glad to be alive.

Turkish Soldier
Today is the day that we are being invaded by the British Empire, barriers and concrete walls are all that we have to protect my brothers. I am shoulder to shoulder with my brothers, we are all shaking in fear waiting for this war to begin. You can see in the distance small black dots flying towards us at full speed. Before I know it they are on our beaches without thinking im dropping the British Empire one by one, I am so glad im not the ones that are in hand to hand compact with those dogs they have no concerned for the safety and they look as though they aren’t even scared I keep shooting without even realising that the British Empire where all ready behind me. I turn around in fright and draw my gun. It's useless. There are too many of them. I surrender, thinking that they would take me prisoner or something but instead im hit on the chin with the stock of a 303…..I'm out cold for way too long. I wake up surprised and take a look around. I'm a prisoner and all I can see are sick people all around me.

By Fraser Morcombe

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!