Waiting Hearts

Lurking behind the trees with twisted, gnarled branches, lives a creature unseen but rarely forgotten. This mysterious creature lives on the top of the tallest tree in the dark and misty forest. Waiting. Watching. Yearning for something to fall into its trap, like a spider protecting its web.

On special occasions, when the wind blows north, this creature would bring horror and disturbance into the stillness of Driven Village. Smouldering ashes are the only remnants of some of the village’s turreted huts. Many villagers sacrificed their souls to capture this monster and end its tormenting for good. But they never returned.

One night, when the air was clear and the clouds had parted, a small boy barely eight years old herded the cattle into the paddock for the cold, damp night ahead. His father was one of the men who never returned. Lawrence’s family of four was close knit; his father Allan, his mother Vera, his little sister May and himself. His father was always known to be right. He knew when the rain would fall and when a cow was going to calve. Ever since he never returned, Vera had to take charge. She had a strong motto; ‘Never question my theories’. So Lawrence never did. He was timid and shy, and spoke very little. Oh how he dearly missed his strong, silent father who gently guided his emotionally scarred son through the harshness of village life.

That night, as the beasts settled down to sleep, Lawrence decided to walk in his father’s footsteps and capture this creature to set it free, far, far away from his village. Silently, he slipped out of town, careful not to wake the sleeping villagers and scurried up the hilly paddock towards the forest.

After what seemed a never ending journey through dark, dank forests, he found the creature. A dragon. Sad, alone, angry and afraid. It was just like him.

Cautiously, with fear in his eyes, he approached the dragon. Slowly, slowly… until it just nudged his hand as a welcome signal. Lawrence was about to turn away and run, but the dragon urged him to stay. The dragon’s eyes met his and he felt guilt leaving it there. Although the dragon was small, Lawrence knew he deserved a name. “Tino!”, he cried with joy and Tino snorted flames in agreement.

The small, fragile creature, only the size of a small calf, was aqua in colour and had rounded turquoise spines down his back. To Lawrence, he was perfect. Lawrence now felt like he had someone to rely on, someone to be his friend.

Back at the village, no one knew where Lawrence was. No one really cared. Tino and Lawrence were finally happy. All they needed was each other. At that moment, they both realised that all they needed was someone to hold onto, someone to depend on, someone to fill their hearts with joy, laughter and happiness. But most importantly, someone to be a friend …forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!