Last Summer

I lay awake, staring at my ceiling growing darker and darker. I thought of all that had happened since last summer and how I had hurt the one I love. Why did I abandon him at the club late that night? Why didn't I just tell him how I was feeling? There are so many things I could have done differently. No wonder Max never called or texted me since I had betrayed his trust so much that summer. Getting drunk and kissing Jonathan, my ex boyfriend, at the club and being told my parents were divorcing was all to much to tell Max. I just couldn't tell him. Max was always so honest and never hid from the painful truth. He thought that I was the same; which I clearly was not.

I spent the rest of summer regretting my mistakes and thinking of things I could have done differently. All I wanted was for Max to hold me in his arms and tell me everything was going to be alright. But there is no way he would do that. Not after all that has happened.

On Monday, the first day back at school, I walked through the quad spotting Max sitting on the old bench, when all the memories we had shared came running back through my head like a speed of light. I remembered our first kiss and the first time he told me that he loved me. He noticed I was staring at me and shot me a look, before he looked away and turned back to his phone that was resting in his hand. I knew I had to make things right between us, so I marched over to him, with a stride in my step, and began to blurt everything out. Everything that I should have told him a long time ago. Max just sat there staring at me then nodding every now and again. "I am so sorry" I slowly said once I had finished.
"I just don't understand why you didn't tell me all of this. You can tell me anything Sarah." His voice sounding husky yet soothing in my ears.
"I was scared you would regret saying you love me and wouldn't want anything to do with me anymore."
"And this is better? Waiting all summer to talk and fight about everything that happened?"
"No, it's not" my voice trailing off as two girls I didn't know walked past us. "I'm sorry, I should have told you everything at the club that night, instead of running away"
"I'm sorry too, I should have tried harder to find out what was wrong. I don't suppose you want to have dinner tonight at Roma's?"
I felt my face flush before leaning in and planting a kiss in his cheek and replying "that would be great." He placed his hands on my neck and pulled me closer and closer to his face. Before I could even react I felt his soft lips pressed against mine. I couldn't believe what was happening. He had actually forgiven me. This was the best way to start a new school year.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!